Wisdom of the Ages: Applying Generational Concepts at Work

Yesterday, I attended the workshop Wisdom of the Ages: Applying Generational Concepts at Work presented by the Outreach Diversity Council . Here is some information about the session:

Wisdom of the Ages:  Applying Generational Concepts at Work

April 29, 2010
9:30 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
Room 115, 329 Building

Four generations of people currently exist in today’s workplace. This session highlights and illuminates the benefits and challenges that exist when people of various ages work together. Various styles of music will be used to illustrate the similarities and difference that people have when it comes to generational dynamics.This session will help participants to:
  • identify the four generations
  • explore and understand common characteristics of the four generations
  • recognize the impacts of generational influences on attitudes, values, and behaviors
  • develop more effective strategies for working with people of various ages
Please note: Participating in this program counts toward fulfilling your annual Diversity requirement (8 hours).

Presenter: Annie Holmes, Coordinator of Diversity Education in Penn State’s Affirmative Action Office, will conduct this session. She has served in this capacity providing workshops and facilitating diversity sessions across the Penn State community for 2 years. Annie has worked with Rankin and Associates as a research associate. She has also worked in Residence Life and the Office of Educational Equity at Penn State. Annie is also a doctoral student in higher education administration. She received her master’s degree in college student affairs from Penn State and her bachelor’s degree in education from Temple University.

I would recommend that anyone who wants to discuss this topic and learn more about this facet of work attend.  During the session, we talked about 4 generations:

• Veterans (1900-1945)
  • Baby Boomers (1946-1964)
  • Generation Xer’s (1965-1980)
  • Generation Y (1981-2000)

We started by breaking into groups based on which category we came from.  In the groups, we wrote down a list of important events, trends, and heros that shaped the generation.  I came into the session with a bias against Baby Boomers.  I’ll just put that out there to be honest.  Ever since I’ve been 5, I’ve had to learn and work within systems that have been championed by that group.  By the end of the discussion, I had a better sense of how when you were born affects who you are.  I also have a better appreciation for the Boomers.  In fact, I can see many beneficial characteristics in myself that have come from the Boomers.  In fact, instead of being an independent isolated individual, I tend to be more outgoing and seek advice from those who come before me and after.  I guess this was a strategy that I developed over time.  In my last work environment, I was surrounded by Boomers when I started.  Then after time, I saw some excellent things that were being done by Gen Yer’s that helped me to grow.  Being in a generation where technology was just in its inception has made me a valuable link from the past to the present.  It will be interesting to see how things develop over the upcoming years as Boomers move out of the workplace and Gen Xer’s take leadership.  Or will Gen Yer’s skip the Xer’s?

3 thoughts on “Wisdom of the Ages: Applying Generational Concepts at Work

1. Patty Gruneberg

We work and live in a very diverse world. Workplace diversity used to be about gender and ethnicity. In recent times it has become much more about the unique differences each and every one of us brings to the workplace. It is a blend of our strengths and weaknesses, our values, and our personalities. Whatever we can do to embrace and understand the individuals among us is a step in the right direction! Thanks for your honesty and your observations!

2. LYNNE SHARLENE JOHNSON

I’m glad you came away with more tolerance for the Baby
    Boomers! I think it’s good to understand what influenced a person’s work ethic. I’ve attended similar sessions and read several good articles about generational differences. Your generational label is just one of many things that shape who you are so it’s important to keep it in balance with many other personality factors.

3. Mike Brooks

Hmmm. I think I need to attend something like that if it comes around again. I am not certain that the Gen Yer’s such as myself are ready for the leadership roles. I guess I have always bought into the idea that with age (usually) comes wisdom. I just have to adapt that wisdom to the way the world is today. From my perspective, and I am not sure I want to say this, the Baby boomers are loosing touch with the way things are. At least that is what my perspective once was. Buy when I think of the people here who are likely Baby Boomers, I don’t get the sense that they have lost touch. I guess I need to think about my perception of the different Generations as well. I also fear that I will hold the new generation to come in some sort of contempt. I think you are correct in the idea we learn from all generations as well as link the one that came before us to the one that comes next.