Interruption vs. Interjection in Debates

I’m not much of a political debate watcher, but what I do watch is the affect that those debates will have on social networking sites. every time people talk about presidential debates, all I can think about is the amount of tweets I’m going to see on my Twitter about the funny things that Romney says and how Obama countered his oh so politically incorrect statements. While presidential debates are meant to give viewers a taste of each candidate so they can make the right choice for the President of the United State, they are also meant to be a stage performance filled with meaningful dialogue. The candidates are the actors and the viewers, its audience.

Whenever I see a debate, I always see the candidates interrupt each other, and while others generally see interruption as poor manners, in the political world, its not seen as bad manners, if it does not steal the floor. Once a candidate has said all that they have wanted to say, then it is okay for the other candidate to go on with their point. It is all part of the act, the way to make sure the viewers continue to watch the debate so the station can continue on with good ratings. The presidents have to essentially make themselves more relatable to audience, not the way that they often present themselves at important events and ceremonies. Seeing the candidates duke it out in the ring like boxers not only gives the audience an entertaining time, but allows them to see the presidents in a personal manner.

This entry was posted in Haley, rcl, RCL1213 and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Interruption vs. Interjection in Debates

1. Dhiren Kapoor says:

I was on Twitter during the last presidential debate and you are absolutely correct, my social networks were going crazy with political talk and live commentary. These debates are more about the candidates connecting to the people than debating concrete issues.

With this occurring, I constantly saw posts by individuals part of or outside of politics talk about the most statements, as they happened. Mitt Romney’s comment about the Navy in 1914 resulted in many tweets, and the same was true when President Obama made the comment about bayonets. Social networks just focused on such one liners rather than the debate itself.