October 22

Entry Seven: The Boy in the Box

While our last case took us over seas, our seventh entry brings us back to Pennsylvania, specifically to Philadelphia. In the Ivy Hill Cemetery in Cedarbrook lies a small gravestone reading: “America’s Unknown Child”, homage to a young victim, never to be named, claimed, or forgotten.

The Boy in the Box. 1957. “The Boy In The Box — Inside The Creepy Unsolved Mystery,” by Katie Serena. Allthatsinteresting, 31 Aug. 2019.

1957: A young hunter sets out to check his traps near a park just north of Philadelphia. As he moves through the brush, he finds a tiny cardboard box, lying discarded on the ground. Inside, the naked body of a small boy, wrapped in a plaid blanket within a discarded baby’s bassinet cardboard box. Fearing that the police would confiscate his illegal traps if he alerted them to the box, the young hunter ignores it, and resumes hunting. Days later a college student comes across the hunting ground and decides to unlock several of the traps, in hopes of keeping the nearby animals safe. He finds the box, and alerts the police.

When the investigation first began, police were hopeful. Described as having blue eyes, fair complexion and medium to light brown crudely cut hair, his nails were neatly trimmed. He had deep bruises covering much of his body and face and experts believe that due to the cold weather, the child may have been lying in that box between 2-3 days to 2 to 3 weeks. Such a young boy (determined to be between the ages of 4-6) had to have a family searching for him, and police were prepared for fingerprint data to reveal his identity.

They were wrong.

In fact, his body showed several signs of abuse and mistreatment. With the help of X-rays, several doctors determined the child had probably been under the age of 5, but he weighed just 30 pounds and stood at only 40.5 inches tall. According to a medical examiner, the Boy in the Box had the body of a child who was just over two-years-old. His hands and feet were wrinkled, indicating he was submerged in water for an extended time just before or after he died.

When they were compared to a national database and local hospital records, no results were ever found. Though the entire city of Philadelphia and the country spread his battered face on over 400,000 flyers, on gas station billboards, on telephone poles, and bus stops, 1,000’s of leads led to no further information about the boy’s identity.

Digital Facial Reconstruction of the Boy in the Box . “Disturbing Facts And Theories About ‘The Boy In The Box’ ,” by Cat McAuliffe. Unspeakable Times, Ranker. Accessed 21 Oct. 2019.

Several theories have popped up over the years.

Investigators have explored the idea that the boy was a foster child who had died accidentally, or perhaps that he was a human trafficking victim. Experts agree that if the case had occurred 10-20 years ago, national news coverage and improvements in DNA evidence would have resulted in a closed case. Either way, it’s incredibly tragic that such a young boy had his life stripped away from him, and that no one had to answer for the crime.

As always, the BuzzFeed Unsolved video delving more in-depth with theories and details is provided here for your viewing. Best of luck with your further reading and theorizing, until next time.

Posted October 22, 2019 by res5727 in category Uncategorized

7 thoughts on “Entry Seven: The Boy in the Box

1. Morgana Things

Watching Italians eat (especially men, I have to say) is a form of tourism the books don’t tell you about. They close their eyes, raise their eyebrows into accent marks, and make sounds of acute appreciation. It’s fairly sexy. Of course I don’t know how these men behave at home, if they help with the cooking or are vain and boorish and mistreat their wives. I realized Mediterranean cultures have their issues. Fine, don’t burst my bubble. I didn’t want to marry these guys, I just wanted to watch.

Reply
  2. Savannah Rader

Maybe its showing the comments in the wrong place or something, and I really hope so because all this talk of food on an article about an abused and murdered child is really sad to me.

Reply
  3. Madison Russell

Your articles have become a go-to resource for me when NFR Las Vegas need information or inspiration. Thank you for being a reliable source of knowledge and wisdom.

Reply