Navy ROTC: Naut Your Average Student

For many college students, ROTC can be a little unfamiliar and confusing. Why do kids want to wake up at 4:45 for 3-5 days a week? Why are they wearing a uniform and what do all the little patches and insignia mean? Do they even have a job after college? Well I’m here to clear up some of the common misconceptions and answer some of the questions that many students share. As I said before in a previous post, I am by no means a professional in the Navy and truly am just starting to get a basic understanding of this whole organization myself. However, I am truly passionate about serving my country and am dedicated to learning how to become the best officer I can be. I also hope that maybe one of you guys could get some inspiration from one of these posts and possibly become involved with ROTC as well. It is a great way to pay for schooling and also provides a job straight out of college, something we all are striving for.

My main focus for these passion blogs will be to dive into the variety of unrestricted warfares (jobs) that us sailors can choose from once we graduate college. There are 5 options: Surface Warfare, Aviation, Submarines, EOD, and SEALS. Now stay with me, I’ll be sure to explain those in future posts but I think its necessary to start with the basics.

What is Navy ROTC?

The Navy ROTC was established “to develop midshipmen mentally, morally and physically and to imbue them with the highest ideals of duty, and loyalty, and with the core values of honor, courage and commitment in order to commission college graduates as naval officers”. Wow. That was a lot. Let’s put it this in some easier terms. The Navy ROTC program is meant to allow college students (with certain qualifications) to learn throughout their 4 years of college how to gain the necessary skills, attributes and qualities that will prepare them for a life in the naval service. Here’s a first common misconception. The Marines are not their own  branch but instead part of the Department of the Navy. Therefore Navy sailors and Marines are both part of this program.

What is expected of a NROTC student during the week?

Here at Penn State Navy Option students have PT (physical training) once a week, and for the  first semester of freshman year there is drill twice a week. Marine option have PT three days a week instead of one. For each of these events muster (arrival time) is 5:30 AM. Let’s start off by talking about Physical Training.

Physical Training is run by the Battalion Sargent for the Navy and the Company Gunnery Sargent for the Marines. PT exercises rotate constantly to keep the battalion in the greatest shape possible and to work out different parts of the body. One week may be a 5 mile run while the next week may be a leg and arm workout. All of the PT’s are in preparation for the test at the end of each semester. Not only are there minimums that need to be met but the scores are also kept in a book which at the end of your 4 years helps decide where you will assigned.

Drill. Drill sucks. However, drill does instill a sense of bearing and discipline that cannot be taught anywhere else. Drill which consists of in-sync marching as well as the proper use of guns during marching. Teamwork and concentration are imperative to be successful in drill and helps establish a strong sense of discipline early on during our freshman year. However it becomes optional after the first semester.

What else do we have to do?

It is required that Navy option scholarship students take certain classes during school such as math, physics, English, and world history. Additionally, each semester all students take a naval related class such as Introduction to Naval Science, Navigation, Weaponry etc. Each Thursday all members of the battalion also attend a Leadership Lab composed of guest speakers, presentations, or inspections. This is also the day that all midshipmen wear the proper UOD (uniform of the day). This could either be dress whites, khakis, dress blues, or NWU Type 3 (camouflage uniform).

Finally, graduation! What’s next?

Depending on which unrestricted warfare that a midshipman chooses, as well as their rank that they received based on their grades, military aptitude, and PT scores, they will select their choice for what’s next in their journey as a Naval officer. This is what we all look forward to during college and also what we will spend the next 5 years of our life doing in order to repay the government for paying for our school.

Could this program be meant for you?

Now that all the cold hard facts are out of the way, I hope everyone gained a general idea of what this program is all about. However, I want everyone to understand that the military is not exactly what many may seem it as. Of course there’s the chance of war and one must be willing to protect the country at all costs but it is known that the Navy has not gone to war for many years and also takes a more cautious approach during wars. Navy ROTC is a great opportunity to learn about yourself, break mental and physical barriers, and develop as a leader in today’s society (I’m also not gonna lie, the free tuition also grabbed my attention). As I talk about the different opportunities that Naval officers have, I ask one thing. Have an open mind when learning about the different jobs and communities. Many of them are extremely interesting and its possible that you could be interested yourself and picture doing something similar.

Ideas for Passion Blog

While walking around campus, many of you guys must notice how there are some people always walking around in military uniforms. Who are they? Which uniform is which? Can they be sent out to war at any time? Which people are officers? These are all pretty common questions when it comes to ROTC. Aside from these questions, many people also don’t understand why we do all the things we do and who we really are. Although it is only my 1st year involved in Navy ROTC and I am certainly not a professional, I have a strong passion for the program and I love being involved within it.Therefore, for this semester’s passion blog I am planning to talk about and try to give the class a basic understanding of what Navy ROTC is. To provide this basic understanding I plan to describe what us “Midshipmen” do on a weekly basis, possibly talk about what our expectations are, and most importantly what we can do when we graduate.I am planning to focus on what we do when we graduate because this is the most important part of the Navy. We have 4 years here at Penn State to decide what we are interested in and then after that we commission into a specific type of restricted warfare (I’ll describe what that means later). That is going to be our job for the next 5-8 years so we must truly have a passion for that type of work and be interested in how it affects the United States Navy as a whole. I am extremely passionate about the Navy and am excited to commission in 4 years. I hope to give you guys a better understanding of not only who I am but describe how NROTC plays a role in my life now, and what it will look like in the future.

Image result for us naval ship