Nantucket Island, MA

Only two more weeks of passion blogs so I can only choose two more places to talk about! I decided that one of those weeks has to be the island of Nantucket! Nantucket is unique because it is one of the two islands off the coast of Cape Cod (the other being Martha’s Vineyard) but has a smaller population and attracts a little less attention. However, many people visit over the summer to visit their huge mansions or just spend a day on the island (like me). Like other Cape towns, it is very quiet in the winter. Additionally, there is a ferry throughout the year that goes to Harwich, Barnstable, Woods Hole and New Bedford.

Photo Contest 2019 Winners | Yesterdays Island, Todays Nantucket

Places to Visit

The first place I recommend going to is, of course, a beach. Madaket Beach is a well known beach on the South Side of Nantucket and is known for its big waves and rough surf. This is because it is facing the Atlantic Ocean as opposed to the North Side of Nantucket which is facing the calmer waters of Nantucket Bay. Either way, this is a great place to surf, swim and have fun or relax and enjoy the view like any other beach. Sunsets are great and the houses right along the water are very cool (however they get pretty battered during the storms)

Best Sunset In Massachusetts At Madaket Beach

Next, I recommend going to the Nantucket Whaling Museum. While it might seem a little boring, this place has a cool story and history because Nantucket was once known as the whaling capital of the world. As awful as whaling might seem now (it definitely is, and is illegal) it was important back in the day and was huge for the local economy. This museum has a bunch of artifacts and exhibitions that allow people to learn more about the history and life of Nantucket in the past regarding whaling.

Best Hotel Near Nantucket Whaling Museum - Greydon House

Places to Eat

Even though Nantucket is a small island, there are still great places to eat. The first place is called Cru. Cru is a seafood / American restaurant that has great oysters, clams and fresh seafood. They have the basics like lobster rolls and lobster salads but also some unique things on the menu. The best part is they are right on the water and the pier so boats are always docking up right next to the windows and docks which makes a great atmosphere.

Cru, Nantucket - Menu, Prices & Restaurant Reviews - Tripadvisor

Lastly, I recommend going to Brother of Thieve’s. This place is awesome because it has classic American food (great burgers, salads, grilled cheese) and has a great pub feel. It is open late night so when you’re 21 you can buy drinks and listen to live music. I like the old tavern like atmosphere as well!

The Brotherhood of Thieves Upstairs or Down, Inside or Out, the ...

3 thoughts on “Nantucket Island, MA

1. Hi! I liked your post, it makes me want to go to the beach. Hopefully we can do that this summer! I love beaches with rough surf, I think its more fun that way. I am definitely in the mood for seafood, and I don’t think I can get it anytime soon in quarantine lol.

2. I love this! Very well written and very entertaining as well! Well done.
    I especially enjoyed the photos along with the supporting clauses for your overall point of view.

3. Have you been to every place you’ve written about? I like how you included both places for fun and places for food. It really felt like an actual travel guide. Also, I’m guessing you’re from Massachusetts judging by the pattern of places you’ve written about. I’ve always wanted to go to Martha’s Vineyard but now Nantucket seems like a more reasonable choice, and one with a little more personality.