Rhetorical analysis draft

My civic artifact is going to lend it’s to movies as a whole. How the have a targeted audience and in them there is allows hidden messages that reveal things about people in our society or our society in general. I am going to talk about how movies like American Sniper have a persuasive purpose and call us to act civically. How the rhetoric elements that were in American Sniper are in most movies that are produced now, how movies often promote different ideologies that we have in society. And discuss how movies lend themselves to the rhetoric ideas and use them to convey ideas.

Then I’ll give explains out how these movies do so and the types of movies that our prominent for doing so. Like how Dora shows how people with disabilities are treated differently in society. And the ideologies such as we need to be nice to people with disabilities and that they are often outcasts of society. I will talk about the description of the rhetoric choice and the interpretation that comes to mind with this choice.

I will also talk a little about the history of movies and what they use to be used for. Talk about the first movies that implemented rhetoric ideas. As time progressed how they didn’t types of rhetoric concepts used varied and how they used the essence of Kairos to help decide when a film should come out. The government used them for propaganda and played with rhetorical concepts in order to get people to act civically. While people used them to show what society is like for people and persuade them to take a second look of the ideas that are brought up?

I will tie all of this together to show how American Sniper ties into movies in general.

One thought on “Rhetorical analysis draft

1. I like your thinking here, but I don’t feel like movies as a whole can be considered a civic artifact. They’re a little too broad to effectively analyze in a 4-6 page paper, and they have too many different functions/purposes to encapsulate in one idea. Some movies are meant to create laughter, some are meant to inspire action, some are meant to appeal to our humanity, some even have no purpose at all – and explaining that using rhetorical and civic arguments would be exhaustive and unfulfilling. Instead, I would recommend looking at another movie that explores similar themes, or maybe a movie that uses similar artistic devices to convey a whole different thought. And depending on the movie you chose, you could discuss some of the ideas you mentioned in your blog post about kairos, civic function, government propaganda, underlying agendas, etc. This would allow you to incorporate some of your current thinking into your paper, while also narrowing the focus of your thesis. You’re definitely headed in the right direction, but try to dig a little deeper; I think it’ll definitely be worth your while.