I Believe Script

When I was younger and learning to accept failures in life was hard, my dad use to tell me that we are master of our own destinies. Both my parents’ families were immigrants themselves or came from immigrant families. Both living behind their lives in another country to start all over in a land of opportunities as they say because they were going to accept how their lives were in their old country. Thought although they knew they were going to face prejudice and hate they took that chance because they were not going to let fate boss them around. It’s a lesson they still teach today to me and my other cousins about how they took hold of their live and made it what they wanted and didn’t let someone or something control them.

Being the master of our own destinies is something that I believe in. it’s something that my family holds dearly as a belief. I have faced people who have told me I will be nothing and will never amount to anything. Being compared to my brother is something I always dealt with as being the youngest son and he having a 4.0 GPA in high school and going to a prestigious college called Bowdoin College in Maine. But I chose not to accept what these people said because I would always be remind by parents that I decide who I will become in life and not matter what others says they cannot control your life, that is something only you can control.

Now what I took that advice to heart, I played sports I had never played before and despite others telling me I will never be good at them I winded up as the captain of my lacrosse team and graduated high school with honors. I am still in a relationship with a girl that was my high school sweetheart for 18 months now despite what people say about how those relationships never work and you’ll break up. You know what me and her didn’t care because I told her what my family would tell me and we still love each other despite being five and a half hours away.

Everyone has to have a moment when they say I guess this is just fate and I can not control it. Thinks bout it again because I about to tell you a moment in my life where there has happened to me. When I was younger my great grandmother whom I got to see for 10 tens before she passed away. She had so many problems but she never gave up on life, she would slap on the grandma smile that lets you know that they love every day of life and seeing their grandchildren. I would jump right in the car when my dad use to say we are going to see your great grandmother and I would just put in my headphones and wait for the car ride to be over. Family and friends use to call her “beauty” Pascale because no matter what life through at her she was always happy and that would just brighten up my day. She passed away in 2008 in a hospital and I remember that day perfectly when my dad called me to tell me that she had passes away over night in her sleep. There came that dad advice say we are the master of our own fate just like your great grandmother yet and despite what those doctors said she never gave up the fight until she was ready to go to the good lord.

This is all I have so far.

One thought on “I Believe Script

1. Hi RJ – I think this is a good start. There are a couple grammatical mistakes and spelling errors that make the draft a little hard to follow, which I’m sure you will be able to find upon proof-reading. My biggest suggestion would be to focus on one story or aspect of your belief that we are masters of our destiny. I think that talking about how both your parents are immigrants, your brother, sports, continuing your relationship, and your great-grandmother is a bit too much. I think it would be most effective to how this belief pertains to YOU, and would therefore suggest going a little deeper into either how you are different than your brother, sports, or your ability to maintain your relationship. I would also revise the ending to put in a bit more of a philosophical portion, as required in the rubric. Throughout the speech I would also suggest using a bit more visual imagery, making the language more compelling and easier to visualize. I hope this helps!