Real Time Chat

School is something that is very important to me, as I take my studies very seriously. I always strive to do my best in order to be the best student and person that I possibly can. When asking my older sister how to prepare for my classes, she told me that one of the most important things I can do is sit in the first several rows, and to go see my teachers during office hours. Although this “real time chat” was a requirement, I wanted to introduce myself and get to know both of my professors more. My second week here, I went to go see my English professor, Ms. Pastor, and I got to know her a lot better. By talking with her about our backgrounds and the things we did in class, I was able to build a good relationship with her, which, personally, makes me feel more comfortable when I talk to her. Whether I’m asking a question, or need help with an essay, Ms. Pastor is always very helpful.

Visiting my Mass Media professor, Professor Nichols, was a very fun experience. I, personally, am a very talkative person, and she is too, which made our conversation even more enjoyable. We even lost track of the time and were talking for over forty minutes. The heat here at State College is unbearable, and Simmons Hall, my dorm building, does not have air conditioning. Professor Nichols lived in Arizona for a long time, and taught me a neat trick that I am going to try in an attempt to cool off. She told me that I should freeze water bottles or get bags of ice and put them under my sheets and lay on top of them in order to stay cool, which is an amazing idea. I also learned about her family, and she gave me great advice on how to stay focused in school.

I decided to take Mass Media over the summer because I really wanted to learn about how the media impacts society. So far, we have learned about how things, such as the news and radio, impact the media, and I have learned so much throughout the past four weeks of class. Summer session has truly flown by and I cannot believe that I am already in my fifth week here! I love the way that Professor Nichols teaches, and I am going to miss her class so much in the fall. She has us do so many different and unique activities that makes me want to come to class every day. Professor Nichols has also helped me realize how I need to study and prepare for class, how to submit essays in a proper way, and a large assortment of other things too. Going to her office for our “real time chat,” was such a great experience and I am so glad that I was able to get to know her better.

2 thoughts on “Real Time Chat

1. My real time chat with professor Nichols was incredibly interesting because I was able to learn so much about her and her life. She has done things, like being a reporter, a substitute, and now a professor, which I find really unique. Having all of these different and diverse jobs caused me to realize that most people don’t have the same job throughout their life; therefore, I need to be open-minded and optimistic in the future.

2. I loved my real time chats with professor Nichols. I was wondering if you thought anything you guys spoke about impacted you immensley in anyway possible?