Five Nights at Freddy’s Movie Review

STAFF WRITER: Maddie Nicklow

r/fivenightsatfreddys - Do you guys think the animatronics are going to have speaking roles? Or just voices in general in the movie?

Note: All images were provided by IMDB’s “Five Nights at Freddy’s” Photo Gallery

new movies based on video games

In this year alone, there have been many different films released in many different genres. Alongside these films are those created depicting a game of some sort, such as The Super Mario Bros. Movie or Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves, but the newest edition to the game genre has just been released. 

r/Slashfilm - Five Nights At Freddy's Is Already Profitable – And It Hasn't Even Opened Yet

inspiration for the movie

For background, the game Five Nights at Freddy’s, created by Scott Cawthon, was originally made due to Cawthon’s previous games receiving reviews and critiques about how his previous games and their characters seemed like that of animatronics from the 80’s with stiff and creepy movements. This sparked the creation of Five Nights at Freddy’s, commonly referred to as “FNAF”. The first game, which was released in 2014, was followed by an overwhelmingly positive review. Many players discovered the game through “Lets Plays,” where a gamer records their reaction to playing through games while commentating. From here, the game blew up in popularity. Within that same year, a sequel to the original game was released, then two more games in the next year, and so on. This game had become so popular that it resulted in a total of nine official games in the franchise, with another edition coming soon. 

For years there have been hints at a film being in production, but finally, the film is now available for viewing in most cinemas as well as for streaming on Peacock. Coming in just under two hours, the film explores the world of FNAF by focusing on the surroundings and details from the first game in the series. The film also takes some minor details from more recent editions in the franchise as well. The story follows Mike who is desperately trying to find a job to take care of his little sister, Abby. He lands a job as a nightguard at an old, abandoned pizza parlor with run down animatronic themed animals. 

Does Blumhouse’s ‘Five Nights at Freddy’s’ Movie Have A Post-Credit Scene

is it worth the watch?

Regarding the film itself, it honestly is not bad! It holds up pretty well on its own as a narrative for a thriller movie, just not as a horror film. The movie was advertised as being a new, scary horror film, but did not deliver in that category. It’s easy to tell when a scene was added simply to sprinkle in horror, but if you know it’s coming without any build up, it’s not too scary. The pacing of the film isn’t great because some scenes feel like they move slower than others and some feel way too fast, but it’s manageable for a two hour movie. For the ending of the film, I personally really enjoyed it. I felt that the added action scenes were a great touch, especially for the climax of the movie. Following the climax, the ending resolution was good, too. I enjoyed how the film was overall, but for a rating, I would have to give it a 6/10. To those who don’t know too much about the backstory of the game franchise, it’s the kind of film you would only watch once.

I had the opportunity to see this movie opening day and it was such an unreal experience. Personally, I loved these games as a kid and I still do to this day. Being able to see something I used to watch others play and joke about to now watching a real movie produced by a big company is a fictitious feeling.

For those who are unfamiliar with this franchise and the lore behind the games, the film is still easy to follow and to enjoy as a regular viewer. While its scare factor is minimum, the story itself is great to appreciate. While, yes, it is meant to be a “scary movie” it just does not carry a real fear factor in it. Long story short, if you’re interested in seeing it, go for the story, not for the scares. Also, just go to see Josh Hutcherson on the big screen. You’ll thank me later!

print