Civic Blog #2: Location Services

My first civic issues blog was more of an overview of how all the big tech companies are collecting tons of data on us and that there is a need for privacy rights. This blog will address a more specific issue within privacy rights: location tracking. We use apps on a daily basis like Apple and Google Maps, Snapchat and Instagram ask us for our location whenever we post something, and even shopping websites ask us for our location just to shop for goods. Do we ever wonder why they do it? We all mindlessly press accept terms and conditions and allow location services whenever we download an app without psychologically acknowledging that we are constantly being watched.

I always wondered how services like Google Maps were free to use because I never saw ads, yet they help me get to my destination and even provide traffic updates. I started to see that certain places would be at the top of the list for search suggestions, meaning a business would pay Google to promote it on their platforms, but that still did not justify all of the costs Google put in to make Google Maps what it is today. Then, after coming home from an amusement park, I got a notification from Google Maps asking to review my experience at the amusement park. I didn’t use the app the entire day, yet it knew I went there. That is when I learned that Google Maps uses the app to track your location at all times and sell that data to third parties. No wonder why I got so many ads for sporting goods after visiting Dick’s for only 15 minutes.

Not only does Google use your location to sell to third parties, they also use it for detecting traffic. All Android phones are constantly sending Google Maps their location whether or not they like it. Google uses that information to update traffic information, provide their users with alternative routes, along with updating their data logs of where each person has been going. 

Apple, on the other hand, claims that they don’t sell user data at all. While many of us get a suggested location whenever we get in the car and connect to Bluetooth, Apple only provides that as a service for our convenience, which we can turn off at any time. Apple is smart by doing this to show users they can be trusted with their information and data. Besides, they make enough money out of us anyways.

Social media companies are also tracking our location. On Facebook, you can check-in at a location to post to your feed and let everyone know you are there. On Instagram, you can post to your story or feed that you are at a nice restaurant or ballroom. On Snapchat, everyone I know posts to their story whenever they are on vacation or at a nice spot. Not only has it become a norm to post your location to your feed or story whenever you go somewhere nice, but these large social media companies are able to take full advantage of it. Once you check in or post your location, the companies are able to bombard you with location-based advertisements. 

If you go to a vacation spot, you’ll get advertisements for restaurants and excursions. Once you come back from vacation, you’ll get ads on package vacation deals to similar locations. There are two ways to look at this scenario. One is that we are getting all of these services for free, and all the companies are doing is providing us with personal and relevant advertisements. Similar to watching television, except the commercials are based on our interests and what we like to do. On the flip side, which is what many of us are scared of, is what happens with the data once it goes into the wrong hands. What if there is a data breach and someone is able to track my ip from my Instagram story post and then has access to all of my personal information? The possibilities are endless.

This is why we need the help of our government and legislation to ensure our data is safe and not placed in the wrong hands. Similar to how we need to have our cars inspected, companies’ cybersecurity measures need to be looked over so that they are in shape and run smoothly at all times and avoid the risk of data breaches. If our data stops getting in the wrong hands, we should be safe. For example, think of Tiktok and their link to the Chinese government. While everyone knows about the risk of using the app, many still use it. The U.S. government hasn’t done enough to certify that all Chinese government traces on the app have been removed. Else the app will be banned from the United States because, in reality, it isn’t benefiting any of us but moreover just another way for us to waste our time. 

In conclusion, we need to protect our privacy and be aware of how our personal data is used. We must decide whether giving up our security and privacy for the convenience of location-based services is actually worth it given all of the potential risks associated. While some businesses, like Apple, are transparent and say they don’t sell user data, there are others that might sell user data to other parties (or have connections with the Chinese government). It’s crucial that we carefully read the terms and conditions of any apps or websites we use before deciding what information to give them. Additionally, we must demand openness from these businesses regarding how they use our data and hold them accountable for any misuse of that data. The government must regulate and verify that companies are taking the necessary steps to protect user data, and consumers must become aware of privacy issues and take steps to protect their data. In the end, it is our responsibility to protect our privacy and take steps to keep our personal information safe and secure.

Links Used:

Cyphers, Bennett. “Google Says It Doesn’t ‘Sell’ Your Data. Here’s How the Company Shares, Monetizes, and Exploits It.” Electronic Frontier Foundation, 19 Mar. 2020, https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2020/03/google-says-it-doesnt-sell-your-data-heres-how-company-shares-monetizes-and.
Elbeshbishi, Sarah. “‘We Need to Stop This:’ TikTok Ban Proposed amid National Security Concerns over China Surveillance.” USA TODAY, https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2023/02/14/tiktok-ban-china-spy-relations/11134410002/. Accessed 15 Feb. 2023.
“Legal – Apple Privacy Policy – Apple.” Apple Legal, https://www.apple.com/legal/privacy/en-ww/. Accessed 15 Feb. 2023.

One thought on “Civic Blog #2: Location Services”