“Bad” Barstools, But “Good” Bartending

A major civic issue in society has always been  alcohol abuse. I mean it was such a problem we banned it with the prohibition laws from 1920-1930. Alas, Americans love alcohol. It is such a big industry the government made it legal again. Today, the same issues are still prevalent. The main policy implemented to fix them, was to raise the drinking age. These laws have made it very difficult for adolescents to get alcohol. Although, this solution has dropped alcohol-related death rates by “… 26,173 in 1982 to 16,885 in 2005” (Boston University), it is still not foolproof. Many underage kids find loopholes, but there’s one loophole in particular which interests me; it’s the fact that 18-20 year olds can LEGALLY bartend/serve alcohol in 48 states.

“Debunking the Drinking Age Argument.” Kiwiblog, 6 May 2012, www.kiwiblog.co.nz/2012/05/debunking_the_drinking_age_argument.html.

This is a crack in the system which seems to be ignored by the public, however it is relevant since it seems to contradict the whole reason why we increased the age in the first place. Only 2 states, Nevada and Utah, have a 21+ bartending/serving policy. Some states do have restrictions on what underage people can do while bartending and serving (such as varying ages or having “adult” supervision), but not all.

Even here, in State College, this policy affects us. Pennsylvania is commended on their strict and harshly enforced alcohol laws. They go through strict measures so underage adolescents struggle to get drinks. They even separate beer and liquor stores to make it more inconvenient, by not allowing you to get both at the same time. However, you only need to be 18 to bartend and serve it. How does this make sense? As an 18 year old, I am forbidden to consume it, but I can work with it. By constantly being around the liquor, it makes it more accessible for these adolescents. Society can try to convince themselves that these liquor bottles are being locked-away from these underage workers once their shift is over, but that’s not always true. Bar managers can’t be everywhere, and when bottles are literally in the hands of teenagers they can easily taken home with them. It would be a utopia if everyone was honest and didn’t steal, but the reality is by having them work so closely with this “illegal” substance, it provides them the perfect opportunity for stealing it.

“What Is The Legal Bartending Age In Each State? ~ Bartending School.” Bartending School, 5 Apr. 2016, bartendingschool.today/legal-serving-age-state/.

Some may testify this and say, “only a small percentage of these workers actually take the alcohol.” Which can be true, however by being exposed to it, it may desensitize them. Their work environment may make it seem socially acceptable to drink. The people who work in bars, are surrounded by legal-aged drunk people, which makes it seem like alcohol isn’t a problem. Which is the opposite of what the US policy tries to convey to young people. Many educational programs, usually discourage drinking and sometimes use scare tactics. Teenagers are usually told that “drinking is bad”, but when they are submerged in a crowd who seem to be enjoying it, they are getting a different message. They see how liquor can lead to having a good time, instead of seeing the “devastating” effects emphasized in preventative programs.

By sending clashing messages, adolescents will be confused on who to listen to; the government or society. Laws are telling them that alcohol is dangerous and how they shouldn’t partake in consuming it. On the other hand, by seeing people enjoy it, it seems like a fun activity that society is okay with. If these workers, wanted to find out which one of these messages is right, they have the perfect chance to try liquor and test it for themselves. Society shakes their heads at underage drinking, but are grateful when an 18 year old serves them their drink. We need to think about the effects that these policies are having on youth today.

3 thoughts on ““Bad” Barstools, But “Good” Bartending

1. You make some really good points. It is really odd that 18 year olds aren’t allowed to consume alcohol, but they are allowed to serve it. If society really thinks that drinking is bad for people under 21, why are people younger than that allowed to be in environments where they are providing drinks to others? It sends a really mixed message and it makes me reconsider the motives behind some laws. If we make a law for the public health, other laws should reflect that same principle.

2. I think you make a really good point about 18 year olds being able to serve but not drink. I have never really been able to understand this rule because it seems like if you’re trusting them to serve it you should be able to trust them to drink it. It also is interesting that our legal drinking is higher than other countries, yet we are the country that seems to have so many issues with drinking.

3. I can definitely relate to this blog post about 18 year old being able to serve alcohol. I actually have my RAMP certification, which legally allows me to serve alcohol to people, and I got it a little after I turned 18 for my job. I sell alcohol there, as a 19 year old, but I can’t actually drink it. This should probably be changed because if someone under 21 has access to alcohol and can sell it, they now have easy access to alcohol and could potentially start drinking it. It doesn’t matter what precautions businesses have in place, people always get around that.