Finding the Best Study Spot: Willard Building

In the previous post, I decided to venture West to get some work done in the appropriately-named Westgate building. It’s safe to say it was one of my favorite study spots so far, especially since it’s a great middle ground between the HUB and the Biobehavioral Health Building. The low levels of ambient noise and the seating arrangements, paired with the views and amenities, contributed to the great study environment that Westgate offers. One of my biggest drawbacks for the building, however, was its inconvenient location for most students. As a result, I decided to try out a study spot which might be a bit less of a walk, namely the Willard Building. In particular, I tried studying in the newly-opened Bellisario Media Center.

When most people think of the Willard Building, the first words that come to mind likely aren’t very positive. The older classrooms and lecture halls, paired with the uncomfortable wooden benches in the hallways, probably doesn’t scream “great study spot” to most students (myself included). However, on the other side of Willard, beyond the classrooms and wooden benches, lies the recently-opened Bellisario Media Center. I accidentally discovered the Media Center after accidentally taking the wrong entrance into Willard, but I’d definitely say it’s a mistake I don’t regret. My main study spot was by the main entrance in what was intended to be a collaborative space. I arrived around noon on a Tuesday. While students were going in between classes, I found the area to be relatively-quiet, and it was far less-occupied than I expected. While I decided to set up camp at a bar-like seating area, there was a plethora of different seating options, giving students the flexibility to choose the best option for themselves. In fact, one of my favorite aspects of the Media Center in Willard was the versatility of the space, making it great to get all types of work done.

A Look Inside PSU's Willard Building After an Extensive Multimillion-Dollar Renovation | WJAC

Seating Area in Bellisario Media Center (Source: WJAC).

Photo Story] Take A Tour Of The New Bellisario Media Center | Onward State

Main Entrance of Bellisario Media Center (Source: Onward State).

The ambient noise levels were extremely-comparable to Westgate, as I never found the background noise to be disturbing. The comfort of the seating arrangements was excellent, allowing me to get work done comfortably for as long as I need. One of my biggest challenges throughout my search for the best study spots on campus has been finding open desk space. However, similar to Westgate, finding ample desk space is far from a problem. As I mentioned before, there was plenty of space available throughout my time at the Media Center.

One of the biggest drawbacks for me was the lighting in the Media Commons. While it seems to be by-design, I noticed the distinct lack of natural light in the area, and some areas felt dimly-lit. In addition, the lack of amenities in Willard (like Panera or Starbucks) might make it difficult to study for long-periods of time if you’re in the mood for a snack break.

Overall, however, my experience at the Bellisario Media Center in the Willard Building was great, as I found the study environment to be on-par with Westgate. While the lack of natural-lighting and food/drink amenities was noticeable for me, I found the location of Willard to be extremely convenient, especially given that many of my classes are in the building anyways (like RCL). Given these consideration, I would definitely recommend checking-out the Media Center next time you’re in the area looking for a study spot!

4 Comments

1. Olivia Cavallaro March 24, 2022 at 1:43 pm

Ronak,
    Thank you for sharing this study spot! Personally, I had no idea that this was inside of the Willard Building. Like many others, I always pictured Willard as being out-dated and overall gross. You have highlighted many pro’s about the new Media Center, and I am tempted to see if this could be my new study spot as well!!

2. Annalise Chang March 24, 2022 at 1:50 pm

I have no clue how I never found this section of the building in all my attempts to find the best route out of here after all my classes in Willard! It seems like a great study spot, though the lack of natural light would get to me. Though it may be obvious, a place with the balance of lighting, amenities, convenience, etc may just be the library. I know that going to the top floor of the stacks is perfect for me, though it is a bit further from the in-building Starbucks.

3. Hi Ronak!! I like this new study space! I have never even seen pictures of this place, until now. I like having small snack breaks in between study/homework sessions but I definitely want to try this place out because the setting and lighting looks really pretty. I plan to try this study spot soon!!!

4. I HAD NO IDEA THIS PLACE EXISTED IN WILLIARD!! When I saw the pictures, I was honestly shocked how nice it is- it should definitely be advertised more! This looks like a really nice place to relax, do some homework, or just hang out with some friends. Great post, can’t wait to go see it for myself!!

P.s.- I went to the BBH building last week because of your blog and it was awesome!! Thought I’d let you know 🙂