Finding the Best Study Spot: A Recap

Over the past few months, I’ve been on a mission to find some of the best study spots on campus (other than the Library, of course). Throughout this semester, I’ve discovered some great spots to get my work done, and I wanted to take the opportunity to recap some highlights from those experiences. Like the rest of my passion blog posts, I’ve taken into account major factors like ambient noise levels, food and drink amenities, seating arrangements/availability, location, and smaller details like great views or natural light.

Starting with the HUB, some of my favorite aspects from the HUB included the variations in seating options throughout the building, as well as the plethora of food and drink amenities. Living in South campus, the location of the HUB was extremely convenient as well. My largest complaints included not being able to find many open seating areas with desk space, as well as the high ambient noise-levels.

The following post, I decided to take a trip across HUB Lawn to the Biobehavioral Building, where I found the ambient noise to be almost non-existent. In addition to this near-silent environment, I found a plethora of seating arrangements with table space, allowing me to get all of my work done in one area. Some other major pros included the great views of South campus, as well as lots natural light in the space. The only major drawback of the space was the lack of food and drink amenities (which wasn’t a dealbreaker considering the HUB is less than a minute walk away).

Next I journeyed West to the Westgate Building. There, I found great seating arrangements with plenty of desk space, relatively-low ambient noise levels, food and drink amenities, great views, and plenty of natural light. The largest drawback, however, was the location of the building. Being in far-West campus, the aptly-named Westgate Building is out of the way for many students.

After trying to study in Westgate, I decided to try the brand-new Bellisario Media Center in the Willard Building. There, I found myself enjoying the seating arrangements and low ambient noise levels, however I noticed the distinct lack of natural light and food/drink amenities. One major positive for the media center was it’s extremely-convenient location, especially for students with classes in Willard.

Next, I tried journeying North to the Business Building, where I found great food and drink options. The seating are I chose was filled with natural light, and there was an abundance of seating options. However, one of the largest drawbacks of the space was definitely the high ambient noise levels.

Finally, to finish-off my quest for the best study spot on campus, I tried studying in the Chambers Building. Although the building didn’t have any food or drink amenities, I found myself being extremely-productive in my study spot on the “bridge” of the Chambers Building. The seating was comfortable, however I could definitely see how the seating area could get filled up rapidly.

All in all, I can confidently say that I would recommend all of the study spots I tried out. However, I did find myself repeatedly-visiting a couple of study spots in particular. Namely, I found myself going to Westgate (whenever I was in the area) and the Biobehavioral Building. In fact, I were to choose a favorite study spot, I would have to decide on the BBH building. The BBH building has the perfect mix of all of the factors I was looking for, with the convenient location being a huge plus! I would recommend the space to anyone, especially if you’re looking for a new spot to get work done.

5 Comments

1. Olivia Cavallaro April 14, 2022 at 1:32 pm

Hi Ronak!
    Thanks for giving us a recap on all the study spots you visited this semester. I took a couple of your suggestions and it was nice to study in a different atmosphere! Personally, the BBH building is always the way-to-go, it just sucks that it is far from East 🙁 I am a Business Building fanatic for sure (Defiantly for the Saxby’s)

2. Annalise Chang April 14, 2022 at 1:44 pm

This is a solid recap of all the places that you reviewed this semester. I would have to agree that all of them are good for their own reasons. But as someone who also lives in South, I second your top pick of the BBH. I haven’t been there very many times, but the few that I did were quite enjoyable.

3. Hi Ronak,
    I applaud you on all of your efforts to find a suitable study space for you during these passion blogs. I have to agree with you that the BBH building is top notch in terms of location and its overall space inside. Sadly, there are no eating or drinking amenities, but it is relatively close to downtown and the HUB if you ever need a snack. Overall, great passion blogs!

4. Hi Ronak,
    I love this recap! It’s making me so nostalgic about our passion blogs as a whole and how the semester is coming to an end.
    Thank you for sharing with us your favorite study spots and actually taking time out of your day to walk all the way to these buildings and let us know how you like it. That took time and dedication, and we all really appreciate your input. I actually went to the BBH building a week ago because of your blog and it was awesome 🙂
    Overall, amazing blogs and work this semester, and I hope you have a relaxing and fun end of freshman year!

5. I really loved your passion blogs! Even though my go-to study spot is the HUB (I know I don’t understand why either), I have ventured out to some of the places you recommend! It was really great to learn about these different spots around campus, especially (me) as a freshman who is still getting used to such a huge campus. Phenomenal passion blog topic!!