- Ruppert, J. H., Jr., A. A. Wing, X. Tang, and E. L. Duran, 2020: The critical role of cloud–infrared radiation feedback in tropical cyclones, Science, in review.
- Wing, A. A., et al., 2020: Clouds and convective self-aggregation in a multi-model ensemble of radiative-convective equilibrium simulations, J. Adv. Model. Earth Syst., in review.
- Qian, T., F. Zhang, J. Wei, Y. Sun, Y. Lu, and J. H. Ruppert, Jr., 2020: Uncertainties in Measuring Vertical Wavelengths of Gravity Wave from Idealized Moving Balloons: The Equatorial Case, J. Geophys. Res. Atmos., in review.
- Ruppert, J. H., Jr., X. Chen, Y. Du, A. Seimon, Y. Sun, J. Wei, and L. Bosart, 2020: Mesoscale gravity waves and midlatitude weather: A tribute to Fuqing Zhang, Bull. Amer. Meteor. Soc., in prep.
- Ruppert, J. H., Jr. and X. Chen, 2020: Island rainfall enhancement in the Maritime Continent, Geophys. Res. Lett., 47. DOI: 10.1029/2019GL086545
- Ruppert, J. H., Jr., X. Chen, and F. Zhang, 2020: Convectively forced diurnal gravity waves in the Maritime Continent, J. Atmos. Sci., 77, 1119–1136. DOI: 10.1175/JAS-D-19-0236.1
- Ruppert, J. H., Jr., and F. Zhang, 2019: Diurnal forcing and phase locking of gravity waves in the Maritime Continent, J. Atmos. Sci., 76, 2815–2835. DOI: 10.1175/JAS-D-19-0061.1
- Ruppert, J. H., Jr., and D. Klocke, 2019: The two diurnal modes of tropical upward motion, Geophys. Res. Lett., 46. DOI: 10.1029/2018GL081806
- Chen, X., F. Zhang, and J. H. Ruppert, Jr., 2019: Modulations of coastal rainfall diurnal cycle over South China by the boreal summer intraseasonal oscillation, J. Climate, 32, 2089–2108. DOI: 10.1175/JCLI-D-18-0786.1
- Ruppert, J. H., Jr., and M. E O’Neill, 2019*: Diurnal cloud and circulation changes in tropical cyclones, Geophys. Res. Lett., 46. DOI: 10.1029/2018GL081302
* Eos Research Spotlight: Underwood, E., 2019: A better understanding of tropical cyclones, Eos, 100. DOI: 10.1029/2019EO118381
- Ruppert, J. H., Jr., and C. Hohenegger, 2018: Diurnal circulation adjustment and organized deep convection, J. Climate, 31, 4899–4916. DOI: 10.1175/JCLI-D-17-0693.1
- Ciesielski, P. E., R. H. Johnson, W. H. Schubert, and J. H. Ruppert, Jr., 2018: Diurnal cycle of the ITCZ in DYNAMO, J. Climate, 31, 4543–4562. DOI: 10.1175/JCLI-D-17-0670.1
- Bony, S., et al., 2017: EUREC4A: a field campaign to elucidate the couplings between clouds, convection and circulation, Surveys in Geophysics. DOI: 1007/s10712-017-9428-0
- Ruppert, J. H., Jr., 2016: Diurnal timescale feedbacks in the tropical cumulus regime. J. Adv. Model. Earth Syst., 8, 1483–1500. DOI: 10.1002/2016MS000713
- Ruppert, J. H., Jr., and R. H. Johnson, 2016: On the cumulus diurnal cycle over the tropical warm pool. J. Adv. Model. Earth Syst., 8, 669–690. DOI: 10.1002/2015MS000610
- Ruppert, J. H., Jr., and R. H. Johnson, 2015: Diurnally modulated cumulus moistening in the pre-onset stage of the Madden–Julian oscillation during DYNAMO. J. Atmos. Sci., 72, 1622–1647. DOI: 10.1175/JAS-D-14-0218.1
- Johnson, R. H., P. E. Ciesielski, J. H. Ruppert, Jr., and M. Katsumata, 2015: Sounding-based thermodynamic budgets for DYNAMO. J. Atmos. Sci., 72, 598–622. DOI: 10.1175/JAS-D-14-0202.1
- Ruppert, J. H., Jr., and L. F. Bosart, 2014: A case study of the interaction of a mesoscale gravity wave with a mesoscale convective system. Mon. Wea. Rev., 142, 1403–1429. DOI: 10.1175/MWR-D-13-00274.1
- Johnson, R. H., R. S. Schumacher, J. H. Ruppert, Jr., D. T. Lindsey, J. E. Ruthford, L. Kriederman, 2014: The role of convective outflow in the Waldo Canyon Fire. Mon. Wea. Rev., 142, 3061–3080. DOI: 10.1175/MWR-D-13-00361.1
- Ruppert, J. H., Jr., R. H. Johnson, and A. K. Rowe, 2013: Diurnal circulations and rainfall in Taiwan during SoWMEX/TiMREX (2008). Mon. Wea. Rev., 141, 3851–3872. DOI: 10.1175/MWR-D-12-00301.1