Standing Up for Change

It has now become a frequent occurrence that I receive anti-semitic comments or hear about anti-semitic events and actions throughout the world. Recently over winter break, I picked up one of my very close friends to get ice cream. I hadn’t seen him in a while so I wanted to try to catch up with him since I was going back to school shortly. He got in my car when I picked him up and immediately asked to make a song request. I had said “okay, sure” not realizing what he would do next. I would never think that a song choice made by one of my best friends could be hurtful or hatefully directed toward me. The song that played was called “Treat Jew Better,” a parody of Sean Mendes’ hit “Treat You Better” and it was narrated to be Adolf Hitler speaking to Jews about how he would treat them better if he were given a second chance. Of course, my friend thought of this to be the funniest joke he’s ever made. Although, he didn’t realize that the feeling of betrayal, embarrassment, and discomfort will stick with me for the rest of my life. That wasn’t the first time one of my friends has made an anti-semitic joke like that, and I’m sure it won’t be the last either. My friends have good hearts, but what they say is not okay and they haven’t accepted that. The problem is society. Society has normalized Jewish hate and anti-semitic acts and comments being normal. Just a couple of weeks ago, I saw a TikTok of a man warning people of the Jewish religion to be careful because people had declared a certain day, “National Jewish Hate Day,” where many anti-semitic persons would perform hate crimes towards Jewish people. Although the Holocaust mainly sparked the beginning of Jewish hate, it has risen much in recent years. To be truthful, it’s hard to handle. Growing up feeling as if I’m a burden because of my religion. I wasn’t comfortable with having my identity separate me from so many others, my friends, classmates, and teachers. I felt ashamed and I hated being different. I hated that no one understood and no one cared either. I grew to learn not to take my friend’s jokes as an insult or in a serious manner. I used it as fuel to stand up against something I am passionate about and partake in change. I enacted change by starting a Jewish Youth Organization at my high school with one of my best friends. My sister joined B’nai B’rith Youth Organization (BBYO) where she has had the opportunity to meet so many others like her that turned into her best friends. It is important in life to find people who share the same identity as you, it can make you feel more comfortable. Sharing similarities can add to the growth and a step in a better direction. While this is extremely important in life, having the courage to stand up for yourself and others against something that is not right is much more crucial.

Below is a mirror selfie of me and my best friend, Eliana at my first ever Bat Mitzvah.

This entry was posted in Passion.