Sexual Violence Exists… Still?

Every human being is born with an innate dignity that represents the characteristics that justify our human rights. You would think this is common knowledge, and something we all know to respect, right? Well, evidently, society has shown that this is not the case. One of the prime examples, sadly, is the evident sexual violence culture that has been woven into society. The perpetuation of harm and trivializing a person’s well-being has been crucial to understanding the fabrics of this issue, especially with women falling victim to it.

While sexual violence occurs regardless of gender, women are often the victims of such assault or rape. The Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network (RAINN) reported that 1 in 6 women have fallen victim to attempted or completed rape in their lifetime (“Scope of the Problem”). Men, on the other hand, show a 1 in 33 statistics (“Scope of the Problem”). These statistics highlight the urgency of the issue and why addressing it sooner than later is ultimately beneficial.

As mentioned before, this topic is a sort of sub-culture woven into society. For years, the discussion of said culture has gone silenced and dismissed, questioning the validity of claims and arguments from victims and survivors. In 2017, the #MeToo Movement gained traction to empower victims of sexual abuse for a collective front against the daily occurrences happening. This social movement was widely brought to the public’s awareness through actress Alyssa Milano’s tweet (Milano):

The #MeToo Movement was largely driven by influential Hollywood stars, as much of the movement’s centerpiece had to with the sexual assault problems happening in the industry. While many prominent figures spoke out in support of this movement, many Americans opposed the movement. The Pew Research Center found that 21% of Americans had opposed the movement five years after its inception (Brown). The organization further emphasized that Democrats were about three times as likely as Republicans to support the movement, proving how politicized it is (Brown).

The American justice system has seemingly failed the victims and survivors of sexual assault, violence, and rape culture. From the literature review, I believe this is because many people do not believe the circumstances of the situation and wish to proceed with legal justice. With every 1000 instances of rape, 13 get referred to a prosecutor, leaving only 7 cases that will result in felony conviction (“What to Expect”).

To bring it back to Hollywood, the 2020 film Promising Young Woman examine the issue of rape culture and the lack of belief in survivors. As the main character struggles with the loss of her friend, she seeks to avenge the failures of the court system and those who were the perpetrators. The film works around the theme of “boys will be boys” and how society has succumb to that notion. The need for people to listen, comfort, and believe others is essential to understanding the full impact of this issue. The safeguarding of human dignity is essential to the issue at hand, protecting women, and men, from the consequences of sexual violence.

Works Cited:

Brown, Anna. “More than Twice as Many Americans Support than Oppose the #MeToo Movement.” Pew Research Center’s Social & Demographic Trends Project, Pew Research Center, 29 Sept. 2022, www.pewresearch.org/social-trends/2022/09/29/more-than-twice-as-many-americans-support-than-oppose-the-metoo-movement/.

Milano, Alyssa. “If You’ve Been Sexually Harassed or Assaulted Write ‘me Too’ as a Reply to This Tweet. Pic.Twitter.Com/K2oeciuf9n.” Twitter, Twitter, 15 Oct. 2017, twitter.com/Alyssa_Milano/status/919659438700670976?lang=en.

“Scope of the Problem: Statistics.” RAINN, RAINN, www.rainn.org/statistics/scope-problem#:~:text=1%20out%20of%20every%206,completed%2C%202.8%25%20attempted).

“What to Expect from the Criminal Justice System.” RAINN, RAINN, www.rainn.org/articles/what-expect-criminal-justice-system. Accessed 29 Feb. 2024.

Showing Support for His Flag

Throughout the pandemic, the deaths of Breonna Taylor and George Floyd shook American culture, bringing attention to the systemic issues prevailing in our nations. As a freshman in high school, I recall seeing Black Lives Matter protests on the news and knew of peers who attended these protests in support of the movement. I remember much of 2020 as politically charged with many Gen Zers promoting and developing their own opinion in political affairs.

With high school going remote for the rest of 2020, we returned back in the fall for hybrid learning. Everyone seemed to have gone through a growth support and be more aware of what was going on in the country and the world. Going to a Catholic school, the climate leaned more conservative, but the majority of us were respectful towards each other’s beliefs. However, one day the one-sided view of the student body shown through.

This one male student in my grade was in my cohort during hybrid learning and, near the end of the school year, he gained his driver’s license. As he was one of the first people in my grade to get his license, we wondered what type of car he would drive, filling most of us with excitement to see. Personally, never in my wildest dreams would I expect the car he would pull up the next day in. A blaring red Pontiac GTO with a Confederate flag printed on the top of it drove into the student parking lot.

I never would have expected to see this, especially given the previous current events. The rest of the student body was divided on with some believing it was arrogant given its historical baggage while others believing it was his freedom of speech and celebration of Southern heritage. This instance forced the school to addressed this uncomfortable situation, ultimately forcing the student to not drive that car into school anymore.

Grappling with the student’s actions, the school faced backlash regarding the decision to prohibit the car on school property. This situation represented a microcosm of the larger social tensions and issues at hand. While I am an advocate for representing one’s heritage, I think it is important to understand the implications of such symbols. The Confederate flag comes from a period where the nation was split and states seceding for the ownership of other persons. As much as seeing the red car was a last from the past, the symbolism paralleled with the injustice persevering present-day.

Despite the arguing sides of this situation, I think the context exacerbated the lacking need for the country to condemn the injustices of the past. We are taught that the teaching of history is to not have certain events be repeated for the betterment of society. Understanding our faults and coming to a conclusion for justice has the possibility for better outcomes. As future generations continue to shape their political opinions, it is important for previous generations to emphasize our history and help draw connections to the parallels between the present and past.

Alopecia: A Lesson in Self-Confidence

Growing up, PBS Kids was always a favorite channel of mine, airing programs like CliffordCurious GeorgeArthur, etc. However, a particular favorite in the Martin house was Caillou. You know, the bald kid who everyone seems to have found to be an annoying brat in hindsight? Regardless of a judgment off character, Caillou represented more than just a kids television program for me and my brother growing up.

Alopecia, medically referred to as “alopecia areata,” is an autoimmune condition causing hair less in patches around the body. My oldest brother, Dan, was diagnosed with the condition at just 18 months old. While many people can mistake this for a form of cancer, the body’s immune system only affects the hair follicles, not causing any other direct harm to one’s health. The root cause of alopecia is indeterminate, yet many studies suspect environmental stressors to be related to alopecia’s onset.

While Caillou himself didn’t have alopecia or cancer, he set a good example for me from a young age about treating others that look different from oneself. I never really noticed my brother was “different” until other kids at school would mention it to me. Comments like “Does your brother have cancer?” or “Did he leave his wig at home” impacted my perception of how others viewed Dan. My brother never really took the comments to heart as he had learned to embrace his identity from a young age.

The Children’s Alopecia Project (CAP) is a program started by a father, whose daughter had alopecia, to bring other effected kids together. My family had joined the program as it sought to include all people affected by alopecia in order to provide support and strengthen confidence in one another. We had grown inseparable bonds with other families and the program was a true saving grace for my brother. CAP reinforced in me the need to treat others the way I would wanna be treated and celebrate our differences rather than neglect.

Besides children, alopecia also impacts people into old age in which learning to embrace a new aspect of one’s identity may be harder to do. Wigs are often a common solution to bring out the confidence in individuals as they age, bringing out their most authentic selves. But, wigs, and I mean good wigs, can be very expensive to afford. This past summer, Congressman James P. McGovern (MA-02), Congresswoman Ayanna Pressley (MA-07), and Senator Richard Blumenthal (D-CT) reintroduced the Wigs as Durable Medical Equipment Act. As multiple private insurance plans cover wigs for undergoing treatments causing hair loss or affected by alopecia, this legislation would expand coverage under the Medicare program.

While not many children would be eligible under this bill, the legislation represents a big step in reinforcing confidence in individuals going through hair loss. Instilling confidence and courage is an essential human trait we all need to live our everyday life. The means to do so are various, but guaranteeing a path for self-assurance is a life-changing decision to government has the chance to make.

A Woman’s Prosecution Reversed

No imagination of mine could conjure up the feelings an individual experiences throughout pregnancy. Being pregnant brings joy through the hardships, but for some women, pregnancy is not an easy route. With the Supreme Court’s overturning of Roe v. Wade, pregnancy, abortion, and the legitimacy of a fetus’s life have come to the forefront for public discourse. The landmark decision had been the law of the land for almost 50 years before its overturning, which it had marked a right to privacy to a woman’s right to choose under the Fourteenth Amendment (“Roe v. Wade”). The decisiveness of this case still ripples even after its overturning.

Brittany Watts

In September, 2023, Brittany Watts miscarried a 22-week-old fetus at her home in Warren, Ohio. She had gone to Mercy Health St. Joseph Warren Hospital 60 miles away, in Cleveland, two days prior to her miscarriage. The Catholic facility told her she was carrying a nonviable fetus and wanted to induce labor or else she would have risked death (Duncan et al.). However, the facility had caused hours of delayed care due to concerns about Ohio’s abortion laws. Watts had left the hospital and miscarried at home with the fetus clogging the toilet and with some contents moved to the outside trash. Wanting to go to a hair appointment and carry on with her day, friends urged her to go back to the hospital in which a nurse called 911 to go to her home as a measure of the hospital’s risk management team (Smyth).

Mercy Health St. Joseph Warren Hospital

Watts was soon charged with Ohio’s abuse-of-corpse statute, despite an autopsy reporting the fetus died in utero. In the courtroom, Watts’s lawyer, Traci Timko, raised the question what Watts was supposed to do with the miscarriage at her home, not flush it (Duncan et al.)? The courtroom seemingly couldn’t respond, allowing for Watts to get around the statute as the definition of “corpse” isn’t clearly established under Ohio’s legislation (Smyth). In January earlier this year, a grand jury decided Watts would not be charged with corpse abuse.

Many viewed this decision as a champion for women’s health post-Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Organization around a year and a half ago. No matter one’s political opinion on abortion, it can be assumed almost everyone can sympathize with the grief and overwhelming emotions that come with miscarrying. Watts’s story is devastating and something no women or person should ever have to experience.

Roe v. Wade has always been subject of ethical debate, and what the right way to approach the issue is. I don’t believe any human being should have to wait hours on end for medical advice and decision-making as Watts encountered. Receiving the right medical treatment for a life-saving procedure should be done with the confidence of no conviction. Watts’s story isn’t the only story out there about women’s health and the handling of it. The Black reproductive rights group “In Our Own Voice” supported Watts and viewed this as an example of the treatment of Black women and years on legal threatening of their bodies (Smyth). The political position of the issue should focus on subsiding the risk of potential fatality with both sides coming to an agreement on women’s health and the rights in question.

Works Cited:

Duncan, Jericka, et al. “Brittany Watts, Ohio Woman Charged with Felony after Miscarriage at Home, Describes Shock of Her Arrest.” CBS News, CBS Interactive, 26 Jan. 2024, www.cbsnews.com/news/brittany-watts-the-ohio-woman-charged-with-a-felony-after-a-miscarriage-talks-shock-of-her-arrest/.

“Roe v. Wade.” Oyez, www.oyez.org/cases/1971/70-18.

Smyth, Julie Carr. “Ohio Woman Who Miscarried at Home Won’t Be Charged with Corpse Abuse, Grand Jury Decides.” AP News, AP News, 11 Jan. 2024, apnews.com/article/miscarriage-prosecution-ohio-brittany-watts-68145b3044b3cc61017b71a97f7cc036.

Drugs and Education: Can’t Have One Without the Other

Middle school: what many to be the worst and most awkward years of their lives. Becoming of adolescent age, there are many changes that happen and are completely confusing. I personally didn’t have to experience the transition of attending a new school because I attended a Catholic k-8 school. However, I still noticed the subtle changes around me and the inevitable loss of innocence.

It was a March day in 7th grade, and grades 6 though 8 were called down for an assembly that consisted of a presentation. I remember having my parents sign off a form for me to attend, but I couldn’t remember what it was for. As we all shuffled in and squeezed to fit everyone, two men were standing in front of us all. To the sides of them were posters that had large images of nicotine, cigarettes, and Juul vapes. I obviously recognized the cigarette and nictoine images, but I really didn’t know what Juuls were and why they were telling us about this. I already knew drugs were bad and thought that would be common knowledge, so why were they presenting to children about it?

Unbeknownst to me, there was a huge Juul problem in my school with the middle schoolers. I obviously had been very naive to the whole situation, but everything began to click. I finally understood why teachers had tightened their policy on going to the bathroom. I finally understood why so many of the guys would go to the bathroom together. In retrospect, I was so out of the loop I wonder if I even went to school.

I began noticing some friends of mine had been involved and it really shocked me. I had been raised to not get involved in addicted substances and assumed that was a universal  truth. Of course, the vape situation got worse from that presentation forward, and that was the only formal instance the problem was brought up. No other formal education was provided, except discipline if you were caught with nicotine and doing it.

I don’t think my school was an isolated incident of the Juul epidemic and certainly not the first instance of drug use in school. Having lived through it, I really do think there is a nicotine issue sweeping across the younger generations. There is definitely an aesthetic or appeal to doing nicotine and fitting in with other peers. For example, downtown State College has numerous tobacco and vape shops catering towards college students and young people.

I know drug prevention programs, like D.A.R.E., had been implemented 40 years ago to combat this pressing issue for decades on end. But, for some reason, no significant progress has been made.  Personally, seeing my friends and peers subject their health to toxins has been disheartening, even with all the information out there combatting nicotine. I do feel like my school failed the majority of us in proper education as we didn’t implement programs like D.A.R.E. into our education. Enforcing better prevention strategies at a young age can lead to more promising outcomes for the well-being of adolescent health.

“This I Believe” Reflection

At first, drafting my “This I Believe” speech was difficult as my first draft seemed too abstract and not getting to the point fast enough. I revised it two more times and came up with a draft that is very different than the first one and something I am satisfied with. Recording was pretty easy for the most part, and I enjoyed that process overall. Having the fluctuate my voice at different points and incorporate sound effects was a challenge and a bit more technical than my expertise. Nevertheless, I managed to figure everything out and enjoyed the experience of making a podcast.