Alopecia: A Lesson in Self-Confidence

Growing up, PBS Kids was always a favorite channel of mine, airing programs like CliffordCurious GeorgeArthur, etc. However, a particular favorite in the Martin house was Caillou. You know, the bald kid who everyone seems to have found to be an annoying brat in hindsight? Regardless of a judgment off character, Caillou represented more than just a kids television program for me and my brother growing up.

Alopecia, medically referred to as “alopecia areata,” is an autoimmune condition causing hair less in patches around the body. My oldest brother, Dan, was diagnosed with the condition at just 18 months old. While many people can mistake this for a form of cancer, the body’s immune system only affects the hair follicles, not causing any other direct harm to one’s health. The root cause of alopecia is indeterminate, yet many studies suspect environmental stressors to be related to alopecia’s onset.

While Caillou himself didn’t have alopecia or cancer, he set a good example for me from a young age about treating others that look different from oneself. I never really noticed my brother was “different” until other kids at school would mention it to me. Comments like “Does your brother have cancer?” or “Did he leave his wig at home” impacted my perception of how others viewed Dan. My brother never really took the comments to heart as he had learned to embrace his identity from a young age.

The Children’s Alopecia Project (CAP) is a program started by a father, whose daughter had alopecia, to bring other effected kids together. My family had joined the program as it sought to include all people affected by alopecia in order to provide support and strengthen confidence in one another. We had grown inseparable bonds with other families and the program was a true saving grace for my brother. CAP reinforced in me the need to treat others the way I would wanna be treated and celebrate our differences rather than neglect.

Besides children, alopecia also impacts people into old age in which learning to embrace a new aspect of one’s identity may be harder to do. Wigs are often a common solution to bring out the confidence in individuals as they age, bringing out their most authentic selves. But, wigs, and I mean good wigs, can be very expensive to afford. This past summer, Congressman James P. McGovern (MA-02), Congresswoman Ayanna Pressley (MA-07), and Senator Richard Blumenthal (D-CT) reintroduced the Wigs as Durable Medical Equipment Act. As multiple private insurance plans cover wigs for undergoing treatments causing hair loss or affected by alopecia, this legislation would expand coverage under the Medicare program.

While not many children would be eligible under this bill, the legislation represents a big step in reinforcing confidence in individuals going through hair loss. Instilling confidence and courage is an essential human trait we all need to live our everyday life. The means to do so are various, but guaranteeing a path for self-assurance is a life-changing decision to government has the chance to make.

3 thoughts on “Alopecia: A Lesson in Self-Confidence

1. Hi Sam, I think this is a very important matter to bring awareness to and am glad you shared this part of your life in your blog. Alopecia is something that I think everyone should be educated about, especially when it comes to the struggles your brother had to face in school as a child. The legislation is a big step in the right direction of progress, and I hope things continue to improve from here.

2. Hi Sam, PBS kids was also my favorite channel growing up! I had never heard about CAP or the bill you mentioned before this, so that you for sharing that along with your brothers experience growing up with alopecia. It is great that CAP exists to create a community for children with alopecia and their families and this bill seems like a step in the right direction!

3. Hey Sam! Thank you so much for sharing this story about your family and the importance of respecting others regardless of what they look like. I think that is such an important lesson that we can all learn from. It is great to hear that there are steps being made in the right direction for people with alopecia and other forms of hair loss.