V Spehar Blog Reflection

V Spehar is another name I was not familiar with before listening to the McCourtney Institute’s Democracy Works podcast. However, I found her background to be insightful and her journey into political discussion and civic leadership to be impactful. Even though she had not intentionally pursued a career in politics, I thought her segue from the culinary world to lobbying for better food policy was a fascinating turn of events. And, then, with her story to how she transitioned to TikTok and where she is now, indirectly as a result of January 6, was also interesting to see how her career changed once again.

As the conversation moves along, I found it interesting when Spehar describes their audience on their TikToks and who is watching them speak. I think it is easy to deduce that mainly young people use TikTok, but, from my own experience, I can say that older adults watch TikTok a little too much (e.g. my dad). They admit that 30% of their audience are Gen X, Boomers, and older and that the number one employer of their audience is the United States Army. As Spehar put it best, they have a nice mix of people viewing their content, which is telling of the type of appeal their videos have to a greater audience.

With that in mind, I really enjoyed how Spehar went on to dicuss the community they created on their platform and how it is a community and an individual has to earn their right to stay in that community. While they don’t shun people for their comments, Spehar gives them a chance to hear them out on their opinions in the comments before deciding if the person isn’t acting in good faith. I think this is extremely important as it is very easy to disregard someone because their viewpoints do not align with our. Hearing someone out, though, can lead to a healthier forum and discussion rather than responding with such defense.

Toward the end of the discussion, Spinelle and Spehar talk about traditiional news outlets turning toward shorts and TikTok-like formats. Spinelle points out that this transition seems somewhat inauthentic, feeling unnatural from a big news conglomerate. I enjoyed Spehar’s take on the topic and why this feeling arises when a media outlet wants to transition to “appeal” to younger audiences. They point out that these news outlets believe this form of content is a fad and something that isn’t sustainable.

However, Spehar points out that the format works for creators like themself because it is entertainment that is not coming from a the usual sources of information. What Spehar does well is storytelling and combining their sources for the general audience to consume easily. I also have found this to be a trend and something that media outlets seem to fail at. Overall, I found this discussion to be very insightful and something worthwhile as a young individual figuring out the sources of media and news I find reliable.

Posted in |

Cassidy Hutchinson Blog Reflection

After listening to the Cassidy Hutchinson McCourtney Institute event, I found her story to be incredibly vulnerable and something to learn from. To preface, I had known very little about Cassidy Hutchinson’s story prior to listening to the recording on the Democracy Works podcast. I had known she had some sort of affiliation with the Trump administration and January 6th insurrection, but I had not understood her significance surrounding the situation. Regardless, listening to her speak made me realize how much humility she has and her confidence to stand for her country rather than that of the few powerful players who are ultimately disrupting democracy.

As I am coming into my own political beliefs, hearing her journey through discovering her own was very inspiring and something that seemed natural and authentic. Despite not coming from a politically engaged family, her spark into politics came about through her education with her own curiosity leading her to understand where her political values align. I also found her journey into civic service to be interesting as she submitted her résumé to all 100 senate offices for an internship. While she noted she applied to every Republican house office before doing this, I think it speaks of her character to be open-minded in a politically-charged America to set her political beliefs aside in order to get her foot in the door.

An important aspect to this conversation was the discussion of political tribalism and how divided the United States has become in recent years. A specific point in time that Hutchinson points out is the comparison between the Republican party of Mitt Romney to what the Republican party has transformed into under Donald Trump’s leadership and influence. She points out that this form of tribalism speaks to our innate human nature and something that is a natural instinct. I found that what she is urging the audience to understand is that tribalism is not the only way to a better America. She even pointed out that if everyone thought like her, that would not lead to a better America. What I got out of this is that the joy of democracy is the interchanging of ideas and understanding others’ perspectives.

Another theme I found throughout the whole conversation was that of a person’s character and how one portrays such within politics. Hutchinson admits that Washington D.C. is a very ego-driven place, filled with the leading minds of the country thinking they can create real world change. But, she understands that at the end of the day these leaders are people, and it is important to humanize them away from their egos. I believe this is a very powerful statement and something that gets lost in translation, often, as many people regard such leaders with a distinct superiority. At the end of the day, I believe that the assessment of one’s character and seeing their true humanity is imperative for maintaining our democratic nation and the values it strives to uphold.

Posted in |

Slay Sarcoma: A Family’s Journey

When I was in fourth grade, a new family, the Noorchashm’s, had joined my school. They were a family relocating from Boston, MA to Bucks County, PA with four sons and two daughters enrolling in my school. There was all of this excitement over such a big family joining our community as that rarely happened at my Catholic k-8. Nevertheless, the school year started, and the third oldest, Ava, was in my grade. We soon were in the same classes and friends groups, and the two of us became instant friends.

Power Morcellator

The reason for the family’s move was unbeknownst to me and many other students, but parents soon began to talk with word spreading. The matriarch, Dr. Amy Reed, had been fighting her journey with a form of cancer called sarcoma. Dr. Reed had undergone a surgery to remove the fibroid (tumor) form her body with confidence from her doctors. Her doctors insisted on using a power morcellator instead of an open-abdomen surgery to remove the cancerous fibroid. This tool offered a less invasive alternative with the intent to enter the body and morcellate, or chop up, the fibroid tissue.Within a week after the surgery, the doctors had reports that the cancer seemingly spread to other areas of her body in an aggressive fashion.

The morcellator did the exact opposite of its intended purpose for Dr. Reed. The family’s move to Bucks County, PA was to reach other professional help and research within the Greater Philadelphia area. Dr. Reed’s story is a very tragic one to say the least, but the surrounding community put our best foot forward to offer all the support we could. The Noorchashm’s soon started a foundation called Slay Sarcoma with an annual 5k run to support research efforts into sarcoma and the utilization of power morcellators. Dr. Reed passed away on May 24, 2017 due to the complications of the cancer’s spread, but her legacy will always precede her.

Social Fundraising

Dr. Reed’s journey opened the doors for other women to come out against the utilization of the power morcellator and how it is a dangerous tool. Before her death, Dr. Reed and her husband, Dr. Hooman Noorchashm, supported a bill called the Medical Device Guardians Act of 2016 with support form Representative Mark Fitzpatrick (R-PA) and Representative Louise Slaughter (D-NY). The implications of the bill would require doctors or hospitals to report issues associated with medical devices to the Food and Drug Administration. This would protect entities from liability to exposed reports.

The bill was passed and serves as a significant impact within the medical field and a necessary safety precaution. No one in our school community had none about this situation before, but Dr. Reed’s story truly opened our eyes to the danger of such a tool. Inevitably, her story has made a larger impact and continues to be an inspiration for many. More legislation should be introduced similar to the 2016 bill in order to reasonably define bioethics for the overall care of patients.

Understanding Transgender Rights

March is Women’s History Month, an annual observance that highlight events throughout history regarding the fight for women’s rights. The fight for women’s rights includes many factors, as mentioned in previous blogs, that contribute to the significance of the issue. In recent years, transgender rights has come to the forefront for debate. Transgender people are tirelessly ridiculed and criticized for the fact they are expressing their authentic self. Where do transgender women fit into the equation compared to their cis counterparts?

The National Organization for Women (NOW) highlights the intersectionality of marginalized women and the need for policy solutions and advocacy. NOW showcases that LGBTQIA+ issues are just as much a part of the fight as cis issues (“Core Issues”). Within recent years, however, “TERFs” (trans-exclusionary radical feminists) have made waves online expressing their opinions on the matter of transgender people. Acclaimed author of the Harry Potter series, J.K. Rowling, was met with great backlash regarding her tweets regarding sex and gender issues, being accused of “TERFery”:

Rowling’s statements have a lot to do with recognizing biological sex and the struggles of cis women identifying as female. What Rowling struggles with in her tweets is the differentiation between sex and gender identity as gender is very much a social construct. Pew Research Center conducted a study in the United States and found that across all adults, regardless of race, 60% say gender is determined by sex assigned at birth (Parker). To note, younger adults are split even on the matter on there gender is determined or can be different from sex at birth (Parker).

As Americans differ on the topic, transgender issues are seemingly les and less of a human rights concern due to a lack of understanding. Many legislature bills have sought to exacerbate these issues experienced by trans people with a focus on the importance of sex. The “Women’s Bill of Rights” is a campaign to encode a declaration of biological sex into state legislatures, explicitly defining that a man is a person of the male sex and a woman is a person of the female sex (Knisely). This further perpetuates the issue of gender expression and how that differs from sex assigned at birth. The implications of such legislation provides a vehicle for discrimination, excluding an already vulnerable population.

The accumulation of discrimination and misunderstanding repeats a cycle of oppression that society is pushing against to make progress. The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) writes that the disregard for trans people further entrenches gender stereotypes. Ria Tabacco Mar, the director of ACLU’s Women’s Rights Project, puts it best, “the very notion that a person should identify with the sex they were assigned at birth for their entire life is a stereotype,” emphasizing the need for collaboration (Mar). For forward motion, change needs to be made and education on trans issues must be promoted. Finding that intersectionality is the only way improvements can be made and seen throughout society.

Works Cited:

“Core Issues – National Organization for Women.” National Organization for Women, National Organization for Women, now.org/issues/. Accessed 3 Apr. 2024.

Knisely, Amelia Ferrell. “Women’s Bill of Rights’ Passes House; Democrats Say It’s a Vehicle for Discrimination.” West Virginia Watch, West Virginia Watch, 14 Feb. 2024, westvirginiawatch.com/2024/02/14/womens-bill-of-rights-passes-house-democrats-say-its-a-vehicle-for-discrimination/.

Mar, Ria Tabacco. “Trans Rights Are Women’s Rights.” ACLU, American Civil Liberties Union, 17 Mar. 2023, www.aclu.org/news/lgbtq-rights/trans-rights-are-womens-rights.

Parker, Kim. “Americans’ Complex Views on Gender Identity and Transgender Issues.” Pew Research Center’s Social & Demographic Trends Project, Pew Research Center, 28 June 2022, www.pewresearch.org/social-trends/2022/06/28/americans-complex-views-on-gender-identity-and-transgender-issues/.

Student Teaching Isn’t That Easy

When I was younger, I attended a Catholic elementary school that would team up with students majoring in education at surrounding Catholic universities. I remember the student teachers normally arriving in the spring semester, and it was honestly one of my favorite parts of the school year. The student teachers would teach a lesson plan, allowing for the teacher to take a break and to have an opportunity to connect with us students. Looking back on it, I always had fond memories of my student teachers and we all could see the amount of dedication they put into their work.

As I got older, these fond memories slipped away and I almost forgot that student teaching was a thing entering high school. Nevertheless, my cousin, Sofia, was a senior in high school when I was a freshman. She had been applying to schools for early childhood education and is now enrolled at Cabrini University studying such. With this being her last semester, she is now experiencing being a student teacher and all that it entails. Every week, we FaceTime call to catch up, and she always has a story or two about her day as a student teacher in the third grade. Suddenly, all those memories come rushing back to me.

Many people often disregard teaching as a profession and may treat as an “easy” career. From the stories I have heard from Sofia, though, that cannot be any further from the truth. She has to outline lesson plans daily, report to administrative meetings, and monitor student behavior all while being a student athlete on top of that. Student teaching counts as a whole semester, and it is a juggle for someone to finish out their academic career while trying to start their professional career. Being an education major is definitely not for the faint of heart.

As stated before, student-teaching is usually a whole semester, counting towards around 15 credits. This is often a requirement for many education programs in order for the student to complete their degree. With that in mind, this is not a paid position even though it is somewhat like an internship. Even though not all internships are paid, a student trying to finish out their degree while jumpstarting their career is a lot to ask from someone when looking at total costs.

Many have advocated for some sort of payment to be included to help these college students and allow cushion when entering the workforce. Beginning this coming fall, a new program from the Pennsylvania Higher Education Assistance Agency will try to solve this problem. The program will award a minimum $10,000 stipend for Pennsylvania student teachers as well as the teacher overseeing the student teacher eligible for $2,500. This program is to incentivize and retain those entering the teaching profession. Even though my cousin will not be able to experience this bonus, it gives peace of mind that actions are being pushed in the right direction.