The Art of Performing

The Art of Performing

While I have spoken about dancing and performing numerous times before, I have never touched upon the vast differentiation between the feeling that comes from dancing at practice to finally performing on stage. Most dance academies have about two performances at different locations every year and often times they have an annual show within the academy itself. My dance academy started off small, however, so we only had performances with other dance academies, but never solely our own until very recently. Growing up performing in front of a crowd, regardless of who they might be, has allowed me to feel a rush like no other and I would like to describe this feeling to you to the best of my ability.

From the first performance until the last, I will always love the way performances make me feel. While initially the tension can be nerve-wracking and the numerous people in the crowd watching your every move can be very stressful, the feeling during the performance and afterwards is what makes it so worthwhile. This quote by Wayne Dyer sums up perfectly the reason why I love performing so much: “When you dance, your purpose is not to get to a certain place on the floor. It’s to enjoy each step along the way.” The adrenaline flowing as the team transcends from one move to another in complete coordination to the beats of the music creates the most indescribably amazing feeling. It is the feeling of unity, teamwork, and grace. From the sudden burst of adrenaline that starts flowing the minute the music starts to play to the split second after that when in one synchronized movement all the dancers come to life, is the true essence of a performance. The aesthetic qualities of a performance are what make them enjoyable for the audience, but the motives with which the performers all showcase their skills come together in one unified unit as the lights dim and the music begins. As I previously mentioned, performances can be very intimidating, however, when I perform with my team, I know I am not alone. We all rise and fall together and knowing that we will be there to encourage and inspire each other is what makes these experiences as memorable as they are. Furthermore, after the performance there is an immense sense of fulfillment as all the hours of practices and rehearsals have officially paid off. When the performance ends and the audience break out into a deafening applause the performers can finally acknowledge that the hard work has been worthwhile. The soreness, sweat, and possibly even tears has created something beautiful not just to see, but also to perform.

Although my description could never completely describe the true feelings evoked during and after a performance, for those who have never experienced it before, it is similar to any accomplishment made by a team of any kind. It is the feeling received when you know that you have earned your right to the top as you replay that memory in your head over and over again with a sense of pure gratification.