PAS 7: Drone Delivery

This cartoon is in response to Jeff Bezos’ (CEO of Amazon) recent announcement that Amazon is exploring the possibility of using drones as a delivery method to customers. Drones tend to be used in the context of military operations, as they are unmanned aircrafts used mostly in warfare. In this cartoon, an Amazon drone is shown flying over an Al Qaida training camp. All but one of the soldiers flee for their lives, as they assume it is a U.S. military drone. However, one of the men realizes the actual intention of the drone, and is excited to get his copy of “Twilight: Breaking Dawn Part 2” on Blu-Ray.  The cartoon demonstrates the contrast between the typical purpose of drones as killing-machines, and the new vision that they can be put to commercial use, as well. The idea of Amazon employing drones for delivery sounds extremely innovative, and it would certainly be time-saving delivery process, but will the idea possibly come to fruition?

Critical reviews of this novel idea seem to be mixed, as some are more optimistic, while others are skeptical of its potential. My business professor has stated that often times companies have to take certain risks and develop innovative changes to keep their business relevant in an evolving society. Amazon is a top-tier company that has had much success, because Bezos has proven that he is willing to modernize with the times. If drone-delivery is indeed the future, then Bezos will be regarded as ingenious, and Santa himself might even consider using it as a toy-delivery method. However, if it fails, Amazon could suffer. After all, creating and employing such drones would require a serious investment (especially a financial investment) to the project.

The company should first recognize the potential pit-falls of the drone initiative.  For example, the drones delivering packages would be exposed, and would it be possible for anyone with a rifle shoot it down and steal someone’s package? And how much extra would the customer have to pay for this service, considering that today’s shipping and handling costs aren’t so cheap, just for a delivery by truck? Not to mention that the company would have to deal with regulation and scaling issues before anything could be implemented. Amazon claims that the drones “will be ready” by 2015, but do you think this is an idea worth pursuing?

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to PAS 7: Drone Delivery

1. Turner Pecen says:

This cartoon reminds me of a conversation that my dad and I had before Christmas. My mom ordered a very large gift for my sister and brother-in-law. It was a grill that weighed at least one hundred pounds. This occurred just after Bezos’ announcement. Our question was what would have happened if the drone miscalculated and sent a large package like this into our living room. I forsee this being all too common of an occurrence, at least in the first year or so.