Science and PreHealth Advising Center
East Wing, 225 Ritenour Building
University Park, PA 16802
Prehealth and Health Professions Advising is available to any Penn State student who wants to explore, prepare, and apply for training in a health profession career.
Our office also provides health professions advising to any Penn State student who is interested in a career in a health profession, including medicine, podiatry, dentistry, optometry, pharmacy, physician assistant, and other allied health professions.
We want to assist students with understanding:
- Information about health profession prerequisites and expectations.
- The demands of a health professions degree.
- The keys to being a successful health professional school applicant.
- Relevant courses and experiences that strengthen their application.
Health Professions Group Advising
Throughout the fall and spring semesters, our advisers offer a series of prehealth advising sessions. Students considering medical, dental, podiatry, and physician assistant professions must attend a Med Prep or PA Prep group advising session prior to meeting one-on-one with PreHealth Advising.
No registration is required.
First-year and sophomore students exploring medicine, dentistry, and podiatry will be familiarized with the coursework, experiences, and skills these health profession schools require of their applicants.
Junior and senior students applying for medical, dental, or podiatry school will be introduced to application timelines and strategies needed to compete successfully in the current application cycle.
First-year and sophomore students exploring physician assistant careers will be familiarized with the coursework, experiences, and skills needed to successfully apply to physician assistant programs.
Junior and senior students applying for physician assistant programs will be introduced to application timelines and strategies needed to compete successfully in the current application cycle.
Scheduling One-On-One Appointments
Current students, to schedule an appointment with an advisor:
- Log into Starfish (starfish.psu.edu) and click on “Services.”
- Search for “PreMed and PreHealth Advising” using the small search box (top right-hand side). To find a specific advisor, use the search box to search by name.
- Click on the Schedule Appointment link in the service description or scroll down to find a specific advisor’s calendar under the Service Members listed. The Service Calendar (left-hand side) will show dates with scheduled appointment slots. Bold-face dates are ones with available appointment slots.
- Click the + icon next to your preferred appointment slot.
- Select a reason for the appointment.
- Type a detailed description for the meeting to help the advisor best prepare for the meeting.
- Once you create the appointment, Starfish will send you an email confirming the appointment as well as a reminder email closer to the appointment date. Your new appointment will appear in your Starfish “Dashboard.”
To cancel an appointment: Click the “X” in the upper right of the appointment block on your Dashboard. If you cancel, please do so in advance and provide reasons for why the appointment is being cancelled.
Alum or prospective students, to schedule an appointment with an advisor:
Please call our office at 814-865-7620. Same-day appointments will not be made. Plan to schedule appointments at least two weeks in advance.
Walk-in advising is reserved for brief concerns that will take no longer than 10 minutes. If it becomes evident that you have more extensive questions or concerns than you realized, you will be asked to schedule a regular advising appointment. Examples of walk-in items include:
- Reviews of current courses scheduled.
- Clarification on a specific health profession requirement.
- Discussion of whom you will ask to write letters of recommendation.