Fruits, Vegetables, and the Supreme Court

SOURCE: CARTOONSTOCK

Throughout its long, illustrious history, the Supreme Court has redefined the cultural, political, economic, and social landscape of the nation a multitude of times. From Roe v. Wade to Brown v. Board of Education, there exists no faster or more sweeping way to revise the American world than through Federal litigation via the SCOTUS. Despite this, not every case heard by the Court has changed the world. In fact, many of them seem like they came straight out of a Doonesbury comic or Saturday Night Live skit. For my last blog post of the semester, I thought I’d break a few of these down and show everyone just how ludicrous some of the cases can get.

Source: PhotoBucket

Have you ever been asked is a tomato is a fruit or vegetable? I’m sure by this point in your life, you have heard that technically (aka biologically speaking) a tomato is a fruit, though no one really looks at it like it is. Interestingly, in 1983 the Court decided upon the matter once and for all. If you’ve learned anything over the course of this blog, I hope that you understand that a person must have a tangible and substantial reason (called “standing”) for pursuing litigation before any court in the United States.

Considering this, this case wasn’t just brought before the court because they were bored one day and wanted to define fruits and veggies… rather, the issue was brought up due to wording in the tax code that taxed fruits and vegetables at different rates (imported vegetables had a 10% tariff at the time, while fruits did not). The case, Nix v. Hedden, eventually ruled that although botanically speaking a tomato had all the characteristics of a fruit, it would be legally classified as a vegetable.  In his 1893 opinion, Justice Horace Gray wrote:

“Botanically speaking, tomatoes are the fruit of a vine, just as are cucumbers, squashes, beans, and peas, but in the common language of the people, whether sellers or consumers of provisions, all these are vegetables.”

Considering this, the next time someone tries to be slick with you and tell you that a tomato is a fruit, be sure to cite Nix v. Hedden in your futile and meaningless defense.

The age old fruits and veggies dispute isn’t the only thing that the justices have decided upon that is of questionable purpose. In United States v. Ninety-Five Barrels, More or Less, Alleged Apple Cider Vinegar, the nine justices on the Court unanimously decided that apple cider vinegar is mislabeled when vinegar is made from dried apples instead of regular old-fashioned ripe apples. Interestingly enough, the defendant in this case was not an attorney at all — it was simply the 95 (approximately, because no one ever bothered to count them) barrels of dried apple vinegar that were carted into the court.

Obviously this fits the bill of absurdity when it comes to the limits and reach of the Supreme Court, though I find it rather interesting that the precedent established by this case has actually done a lot to protect people to this day. Take a look at any drug or food object in any store, and you will see the label of the item complete with the branding and nutritional facts. Right below the branding, you will typically see a basic description of what the product actually is in little white letters. This not only creates transparency as to what you are getting out of a product, but it also allows for a reasonable effect to be assigned to each product. This is especially useful when considering the labeling of over the counter drugs.

It provides a bit of comic relief to me that we can thank an unknown quantity of inanimate apple vinegar barrels for drug and food safety. This just goes to show that amidst all the fighting, confusion, and seriousness of government and law, good things can come in the most unsuspecting of ways.

6 comments on “Fruits, Vegetables, and the Supreme CourtAdd yours →

1. I can’t believe this argument was actually discussed in court. I always thought people were just guessing if tomatoes were a vegetable or fruit. This blog post definitely made me laugh.

2. Interesting blog! I never knew that these cases even existed. I know that it’s really hard for some cases to actually get to the Supreme Court, so I wonder why they even wasted their time with something so silly like arguing over what a tomato is considered. I’m rather curious to see what other silly cases have been decided by SCOTUS.

3. Wow. Just wow. I would have never thought that things so silly would’ve made it all the way to the Supreme Court. I am very excited to have learned these facts, though.
    My friend group loves to argue about the most ridiculous things and maybe I’ll be able to break out one of these bad boys. I also cannot believe that inanimate objects being brought to court is the reason that we have descriptions on products. It just comes to show that things can turn out in unexpected ways.

4. I wasn’t sure where you were going with this. I didn’t think that you could actually be writing about fruits and vegetables, and yet the absurdity of the government is evident through these cases. I know we all consider them vegetables, but a tomato is technically a fruit, so I don’t understand why it would be considered a vegetable in court. I think that the vinegar case is important, though. The descriptions of what products actually are is incredibly important for allergies, preferences, etc. These cases are silly, though; people really create lawsuits over anything.

5. Great post! It was ironic for me to read this post, as I had been thinking of this topic a few days earlier, on the news that a drug dealer had got his case in the Supreme Court, saying that his Rights were violated when his Range Rover was towed and confiscated. I think that your post has a lot of importance and meaning as though the law constantly evolves, it is imperative to do a bit of self-reflection on our own judicial system at times…

6. This was a great post, especially in contrast to some of the grimmer subjects you’ve covered on this blog. It definitely was able to sustain my interest during the entire read and the addition of comics was a nice touch for sure. I’m not sure if there would be enough content to actually do this, but it might be neat to see a blog completely dedicated to covering seemingly absurd court cases.