March 15

Civic Issues #3: Focus on Persuasive Essay

Question of Policy: Video games should not be further censored or restricted in the United States.

Violent video games should not be held responsible for acts of real-world crimes or violence, and therefore, attempts to censor them or further restrict the sales of them are heavily misguided.

Recent events have put the debate on gun control back onto the political forefront. However, legal restrictions on the sale of assault rifles are far from the only suggestion on how to resolve our nationwide dilemma. Specifically, some have pointed to violence in movies and video games as influencing our country’s infamous mass murderers. Even President Trump has weighed in on this issue, organizing a meeting with many top executives in the gaming industry to discuss it with them. As such, I would not be surprised if a similarly large debate on violence in our entertainment opens up in the near future.

Seeing as I write pieces on the civic issue of the restrictions on free speech, as well as the fact that I am a passionate gamer, the fact that the two are overlapping makes for an interesting opportunity for me to research the controversy on video game violence. Mainly, I want to create a solid argument on why video games should NOT be restricted by the government or any other public force, especially given my almost unabashedly libertarian stance on these kinds of issues.

Personally, I think that blaming video games for one’s real acts of violence is unfair to both a perpetrator of crime as well as law-abiding gamers. With every major mass shooter in recent memory, one very common denominator residing in all of them is that they all have struggled with mental health. Sure, some were known for their gaming habits, but the hole in this argument lies in the fact that millions of other people also play video games, but do no such heinous actions. We need to put in perspective that the horrible murderers our news feeds constantly, repeatedly show make up an extremely minuscule proportion of our population; is it really fair to collectively punish everyone? I sure do not think so!

RESEARCH QUESTIONS:

Are video games REALLY the cause of all this recent violence?

Find statistics on amount of regular game-players.

Good Ben Shapiro article on this recently.

Should parents be fully responsible for what games their children are exposed to, as opposed to the government?

What about the ESRB rating system? Don’t they restrict the sales of M-rated games?

Should the government even be involved at all?

Posted March 15, 2018 by ajs680 in category Uncategorized

2 thoughts on “Civic Issues #3: Focus on Persuasive Essay

1. Ri

I think this would be a very interesting topic especially because not many people take it into consideration, so you’d be giving information on a topic not well-known. The only problem I think you’d run into would be how statistically, violent video games/media actually do have a direct impact with more violent people. Other than that, I think this would be really engaging.

Reply
  2. Jordan Hillsley

This is cool. The overlap from your passion blog and civic issues blog will allow you to have a good understanding plus some strong research points. I agree that video games should not be censored. There is a huge argument waiting for you with gun violence. But, I think that it is up to the parents to restrict their children on inappropriate games since they are labeled for a specific audience. I think you will do a great job on this just make sure you stay focused since you have the gun violence issue that is so big.

Reply