Air Quality

28-china-master675-v2Image Source: NYtimes

A recent study shows that most of the cities in China fail to meet the minimum air quality standard. Just 3 of Chinas 74 central government monitored cities meet this standard. The dirtiest cities in china are resulting from the coal based industries in the North. This is one of the issues that normal Chinese people are having while trying to pressure their communist government into taking action about it.

Things like this make me grateful for where I live. This is a terrible thing for the Chinese people to have to deal with. This is a good example of why a communist government doesn’t function as well as other types of government do. Last year when pollution became very bad Chinese citizens were forced to wear masks in order to be outside. This was nicknamed the “airpocalypse.” The Chinese government should have taken stronger action against pollution when news of the “airpocalypse” became public. I hope pollution laws are set in to place soon so that the Chinese may once again be able to breath outside.

This entry was posted in RCL. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Air Quality

1. Kenny Laufer says:

This issue sounds like it would make an excellent proposal argument! You would have to do some pretty extensive research on what causes pollution and then pick a solution based on that info. It could get messy, seeing that part of the problem can be contributed to over population. Pollution in china is definitely an issue that needs to be solved, no doubt.

2. Nicole Franks says:

This is really interesting. I knew there were a lot of issues around this topic but I never realized it was as few as only 3 cities pass the standards. I can’t imagine living like that. This definitely makes me grateful for all of our standards here too.