Frozen’s snow physics

Source: cgmeetup

Instead of talking about an out-of-season snow sport today, I would like to express the awesomeness of Disney Animation Studios. They were the animators behind the new movie Frozen. This Image below is a photo of snow in the physics engine used to make the movie. If you would like to see the snow movement in action, follow the image source link that I provided.

Making-of-Disneys-Frozen-Snow-Simulation-1

Few people realize the amount of time that goes into something with this amount of graphical fidelity. Polygons are clusters of points together that form a virtual shape. In the play station two days of video games, the characters consisted of around 4000-5000 polygons each.  This model of snow is well over 100,000 polygons. The Engine allows the polygons to react with each other in a similar manner to how they would in real life. This is incredible and it blows my mind.

This entry was posted in Enjoying Life (and snow). Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Frozen’s snow physics

1. Christopher Depman says:

PEople think that animated films are easier to make then standard films because you can just “make things on computers” but the budget for most pixar movies is millions and millions of dollars and they have to construct every inch of their virtual world. It’s crazy to watch the special features on movies they make.

2. Nicole Franks says:

This is really interesting. I have learned about animation before and even taken some computer graphics classes myself so I understand how this all works, but it really is something that is commonly forgotten or not thought about while you’re watching the film. The animators in Frozen deserve some serious recognition for all the time and effort they put into the creation of the film.