What Are We Having For Dinner? Fire.

Five days back into the school grind and already two exams passed, I still haven’t recovered from my spring break hangover.  As such, I really haven’t stepped outside of my dorm for any other reason than to go to class or go get food.  Sooooo it looks like this week is going to be a spring break edition of my blog!

While I watched many friends pack up to head off for their luxurious vacations to warm and wonderful destinations, I packed my bags to head back to good old Edinboro, Pennsylvania.  For those of you who have never been to Erie (so most of you I’m assuming), it is best described as a tiny college town with three stop lights, a Wal Mart, and a handful of small locally owned businesses.  Although it is sometimes a nice, quiet little lake town where many elderly folks come to vacation in the summer, in the winter it is a desolate, perpetually snow covered tundra (seriously, we had two and a half feet of snow on the ground even when it was 50 degrees out), inhospitable to college students home on break trying to find something fun to do.

That being said, I spent the majority of the first few days of break trying to drown any thoughts of college or exams in copious amounts of Netflix, finishing two full seasons of Parks and Recreation in a mere two days.  I also made a trip to the Erie Zoo to look at all twelve of the animals still outside and on display midst all the snow, a trip to the mall to cry over all the nice new clothes I can’t afford, and multiple visits to my favorite local breakfast place to try to stuff myself with enough red velvet French toast to hold me over for the rest of the semester.  All of these things were of course accompanied by endless hours spent hanging out with my dog (oh, and my family too I guess).

By day four, however, I was bored beyond comprehension.  Refusing to waste my time doing such things as studying or applying for scholarships, I instead decided to try my hand at something I rarely get the chance to do here at college: cooking.  Now, I have never been much of a cook outside of making the occasional peanut butter and jelly sandwich, but insane boredom makes people try crazy things.  So, I took requests from everyone in the house and eventually settled on a baked mac and cheese recipe.

I gathered all my ingredients and began cooking.  As the pasta cooked and the cheese and other ingredients melted, the aromas of a home cooked meal began to fill the house.  I wasn’t so bad at this after all!  As I added butter and other ingredients to a hot pan on the stove, I began to dream about dropping out of college and attending Le Cordon Bleu, pursuing my true destiny as a world class chef.  I wandered out of the kitchen to go grab my phone and text my mom about bringing home fresh bread to accompany dinner, and as I sat in my room, I began to smell something a little different.  The delicious scent of spices was now gone and replaced instead by what smelled like… FIRE.  Not long after I recognized the scent, I saw the dark grey smoke indicating that something was indeed on fire.

Mrs. Doubtfire and I probably would have been good friends

Rushing out to the kitchen, I found my pan of butter spouting red hot flames and my very concerned younger brother waving his hands in the air desperately try to fan away the smoke without bothering to try to put out the fire.  Quickly reaching for the controls to turn off the stove, I then grabbed the pan and blew on it as hard as I could until the flame died.  While I waited for the pan to cool, I reached for the phone and kissed all my dreams of being a chef goodbye as I ordered a pizza.  Fingers crossed I marry a man who can cook.

3 thoughts on “What Are We Having For Dinner? Fire.

1. Wow that is actually so scary! I love to cook, but fortunately I have never caught anything on fire. I think I would have freaked out and probably not know what to do, so the fact that it seemed like you stayed pretty calm and reacted fast to the situation at hand is impressive. Despite the meal not turning out so great, at least the experienced livened up your spring break a bit. Maybe it wasn’t quite what you were expecting by trying to cook for your family, but at least it will make for some great laughs in the future. That is at least what I try to tell myself whenever something goes disastrously wrong or different from what I was expecting.

2. Oh my god! I’m so happy the smoke didn’t catch the fire alarms! Cooking with cheese is almost always a nightmare; it can go either really well, or so bad your food is burnt to a crisp. Either way, I’m so glad you tried your hand at cooking, and I urge you to keep it up! Its a great hobby to have and its one of those things which is more useful than you might think. Even though its hard to believe, I actually feel that your spring break was more eventful than mine. Living in Delaware…yes, Delaware…there is little aside from chemical plants and patches of empty farms. But all things aside, it was great to hear your story and feel your struggle :). Keep up the great writing!

3. That is sure a great story to tell, even though it might not have been too pleasant! I also found myself struggling with boredom after around four days of break. However, I did not get myself to busy myself with something like you did! Even though it ended badly, I think it is really cool that you tried to do something different than usual by cooking something! I am sure that had that fire not occurred your mac and cheese would have turned out greatly! If you don’t end up marrying a man who can cook, at least you seem to have the knack of cooking (fire aside). I hope you can do something fun aside from all of this schoolwork!