Chess Culture and My Chess Fever

My English teacher for senior year of high school was the head of our undefeated regular season chess team, and I was already in no way a rookie player, I understood basic openings, traps, middle game, and end game moves, but I wanted nothing more than to beat him. I began to play chess with my dad, a very good chess player and who is in no way humble about it. I practiced everyday, I read about chess, I studied the world champions’ chess matches and watch lessons and continued to practice with my dad and anyone else willing to play me. I got chess fever and it has continued to stick with me, even after I beat My English teacher in chess, which I did! And was in no way modest about it to anyone. In fact I proceeded to tweet that I beat him immediately after it happened.

Chess keeps my brain sharp. It puts my life in perspective and makes me understand how to find other options and to understand I should think about what other people are doing. One small missed detail and it could ruin the forty-five minutes of focus you have had in trying to find your best strategy. There is nothing worse than making a chess move that you know just ruined your whole game, or being overconfident and missing a detail and lose because of one mistake, but no matter how much I lose, how much my ego gets a huge bruise from my dad, or how often I just get plain aggravated with chess, I never step away from an hours worth of playing and think “wow I could have been doing something much more productive”. The same English teacher I talked about earlier is a very eccentric man, he is known for not having a T.V., smoking cigarettes before and after school, and everyone assumes he lives in a cabin by himself in the woods, but he was discussing chess with some girls in my English class one day and explained how when he was young he over looked chess never thought it was not that great. Then a few years ago a friend of his told him that he and his father have trouble communicating with each other, but have absolutely no problem sitting at a chess board and playing chess for hours, so he decided to give chess another shot and it is now one of his biggest interests. Chess brings people together, it is a universal game, and I love everything about it. Millions around the world and most way more than me have caught this “chess fever” that I referred to. Amazing amounts of books published and keep getting published. Tons of fascinating documentaries on YouTube and even HBO continue to find interest from the public, and also a movie trailer has just been released portraying the amazing life of histories most well known chess player, Bobby Fisher, who I will probably bring up many times throughout this blog. The film is called Pawn Sacrifice with big times actors such as Tobey Maguire who is starring as the main character Bobby Fischer. I will not be discussing small details of the chess game or strategy because that will go over most people’s heads, but I will be going over the impact it has on people, culture, my family and me. Everyone has something to gain from chess and I hope to influence anyone reading this blog to give chess a second look!

.IMG_3363