Recommendation Report

For all the brouhaha of the general education reform, I have staunchly held my opinion that the program does not need reform. However, that does not seem to be the case, so I believe that if there was to be reform, it should strive to be as similar to the original as possible. The first option proposed, that focusing on exploration, is the most promising. To me, Gen Ed has always been about just that: exploration.

The ideal reform, in my opinion is one in which a student can choose which courses interest him or her. The students will want to take the course because they are genuinely interested in it. This course will enhance their knowledge on the topic and broaden horizons. This is especially important for students in the DUS program because they don’t know exactly what they want to do and an open general education model will help them explore their possibilities. Gen Ed should enable students to increase their knowledge in interesting fields and make them more interesting people.

3 thoughts on “Recommendation Report

1. No “I think this”. Very succinct. Be precise. Spend a lot of paper defining or explaining. Have an abstract with theses. Draw upon reason, evidence, quotes from experts, reference to peers from discussion. Don’t make statements that can’t be supported (c’mon, man). Are jobs the only things that matter?
    it would be good to use sub-headings and sub-arguments and categories or whatever.
    Don’t say “I don’t know the answer” please, for the love of God– don’t say that
    Break away from the categories. They’re lame.

2. I think this is a good idea. College is for exploring your interests. Gen Eds should be used as a way for students to work out what they really want to do. Also Gen Eds offer some academic relief from the hard core classes like chem 110 and math 140. In DUS the exploration option would be helpful because it gives the student limitless options to discover what they want their field of study to be.

3. I agree with you on the point that exploration should be the primary focus of Gen Eds. We are freshmen in college and need to be able to find ourselves before we can focus on any one specific thing. You made a good point about DUS students and how it is necessary for them to be able to explore. Also if the school chose a theme based approach how would DUS students fit into that?