Fad Diets Revealed

I am sure everyone has had those awesome advertisements of “LOSE 10 POUNDS IN ONLY 2 DAYS WHILE EATING CAKE.” Okay, so maybe that is a slight exaggeration, but seriously, that is pretty much what they say. We are a group of verfad_diets_dont_worky bright individuals, but I still feel the need to clarify. Those advertisements about fad diets are completely false. The vast majority of US citizens will try a fad diet at least once in their lifetimes. Unfortunately, the fad diets are just that, a fad. They are hardly good for your body and could actually cause you to gain weight. Here are a few of the most popular fad diets and why they do not work.

1. One of the most popular diets currently is called the Paleo diet and is based off of a “caveman’s” diet. Basically, you eat food that only cavemen could eat; food that can be hunted and/or picked. That excludes all carbs and refined sugars. I actually tried this diet for two weeks this summer. The day after the two week mark, I ate so much bread that I was practically bursting. It is just not possible or healthy to cut carbs out of a diet. paleo-diet-is-it-healthy-360x240Of course, limiting carbs can be a good thing, but do not beat yourself up about a plate of whole wheat pasta! The Paleo diet does not have a significant amount of research to back it up, and research actually shows that whole wheat carbs are crucial for your overall health.  A version of this diet that would be beneficial would be to simply cut out refined sugars and limit yourself to whole wheat carbs.
  2. The Atkins diet, another popular diet that recommends unlimited about of eggs, meat and butter has actually been losing popularity due to a large amount of health specialists that have spoken out against this dangerous diet. Popular because it did not focus on limiting awesome foods like meat and butter, the Atkins diet has actually been condemned by multiple health specialists and the FDA. 2010093800atkins
  3. The Master Cleanse. The go to diet for celebrities like Beyonce and Justin Beiber. Guys, just because they do it doesn’t mean you should. With multi-million dollar health specialists advising them, celebrities often have a more tailored version of the Master Cleanse. This mixture of lemon juice, maple syrup and pepper might make the pounds go away at first, but as soon as the cleanse is ended, the pounds which just slither right back. This diet was originally meant to regulate PH levels in the body and was not supposed to be used for weight loss. Master_Cleanse

Moral of the blog post, don’t turn to fad diets to lose weight. Instead, develop a method that works best for you. If that method is calorie counting or simply limiting sweets, do it. Also, my saying no to ice cream has not gone as well as hoped. I am, however, down to 3 bowls a day and not 6 so that is a plus! keep-calm-and-forget-fad-diets

3 thoughts on “Fad Diets Revealed

1. I am so glad you brought this up! There are so many commercials or advertisements nowadays that say “Lose Weight Fast” or something of that sort except for the fact that most of these fad diets are not very effective. Your blog is so interesting to read, and I love how you used a casual and easy-going tone while being informative at the same time.

2. I completely agree. Anytime I see all of those commercials, I just think to myself that staying healthy is by exercising and eating healthy. That is how our bodies are built and there is nothing that can change that formula for being fit. I ignore all of those commercials and claims, knowing they won’t work. Keep ignoring those fad diets.

3. I hate when people get excited about fad diets, and thank you for proving their uselessness! A popular girl in my high school always flaunted her diet of cucumbers and olive oil, while I just rolled my eyes. Your writing style is very comedic, and I like the uses of hyperboles throughout.