Crossfit Vocabulary

quiz-obssesed-with-crossfitOne of the hardest and most confusing things about crossfit is, shockingly, the vocabulary. Part of the “cultish” judgment that crossfit has received is because participants speak a foreign language that many regular gym goers do not understand. For example, a crossfit workout on any given day could look like this:

WOD:

5 minute AMRAP

10 DL

10 PU

10 BJ

25 DU

Confusing, right? I know. Written out in long form the workout would actually be

Workout Of the Day

5 minutes of As Many Rounds As Possible of

10 Dead lefts

10 Push ups

10 Box jumps

25 Double Unders

untitled

Some people might not understand the skills that crossfit involves (i.e. Double unders or dead lifts) but understand the vocabulary is the first step to understanding the sport. For your benefit, I have included a list of commonly used crossfit abbreviations and their meanings.

AMRAP: As many rounds as possible of a given workout in a given amount of time (aka…DEATH)

BS: Back squat

Box: Crossfit gyms are referred to as boxes because they are literally ALWAYS in the form of…a box.

CLN: Clean

DL: Deadlift

EMOM: Doing a specific workout for a specific number of reps every minute on the minute (aka…another form of death)

FS: Front squat

KB: Kettlebell

Kipping: a Swinging motion that is used to help propel the body with momentum during pull ups and hand stand push ups

REP: repetition.

PC: Power clean

RM: I rep max of a given exercise

SN: Snatch

WOD: Workout of the day

(AND MOST IMPORTANTLY)

YBF: You’ll Be Fine

There you have it. Your very first crossfit intro. Of course all the skills require intros of their own before people understand the correct form etc. that is necessary to perform said skills.

One other somewhat confusing aspect of crossfit are the names given to some of the workouts. In crossfit, benchmark workouts are WODs that are meant to test an athlete’s improvement over a certain amount of time. These WODs are named after women in the crossfit community who have mastered crossfit. For example “Annie” consists of a decent of Double Unders (jump roping) and sit ups. “Cindy” is a fun one that consists of 5 pull-ups, 10 push-ups, and 15 squats for 5+ rounds. Crossfit also has “hero WODs.” To honor American heroes. These WODs are extremely difficult. For example, there is a WOD to honor lives lost in 9/11 and also a WOD to honor Penn State graduate and diseased Seal Murphy.

Baby-Squat

4 thoughts on “Crossfit Vocabulary

1. All I had known before reading this was that Crossfit gyms were referred to as a “box.” This was a really interesting post, I didn’t know that there was so much vocab in Crossfit that I would never understand if I didn’t just read this. Sounds like it would be difficult to memorize and remember it all when referring to it.

2. Your passion blog post was really interesting, I had not idea that Crossfit used all of those acronyms and specific vocabulary in their work outs. I wasn’t really sure how Crossfit worked before or what it even was, but I think I understand it better now. It sounds really intense and I might actually look into it to get in better shape. Keep up the good work!

3. I found this really amusing and a little funny, actually! I didn’t know that crossfit had it’s own language of sorts and the thought of imagining you guys speaking in those terms was comical. Crossfit is so interesting! I had no idea how little I knew about it. I think it’s great that you guys have your own culture because I could imagine how much more interesting it makes things!

4. This was super informative and super interesting! I know a few of my friends have started Crossfit recently, and they talk about it all the time. I think this post gives me a clearer and better understanding of how Crossfit works. I also loved the acronyms! It gives the post a little humorous side while staying informative at the same time. Nice job!