A Week Without Crossfit

And just like that, Spring break is over. I hope everyone had just as an amazing spring break as I did! It was full of food (wayyyy to much of it) and sun and…..no crossfit (sob).  I guess my body needed the break but now I can’t wait to get back into the swing of things and my three-a-day workout sessions. After completing the second Open WOD on Friday and being pretty disheartened, I needed the break from crossfit. The WOD was

20 overhead squats (65 lbs)

20 chest to bar pullups

In three minutes.  IF you passed the first level in under three minutes, then you started right away with round 2 which increased each exercise by 4 reps. It increased by 4 reps every 3 minutes until the person “failed” or could not make the 3 minute time cap.

I have never been able to do chest to bar pull ups. Ever. My triceps are much weaker than my biceps and I was forced to do chest to bar chin ups instead which was a lot slower. Unfortunately, I only was able to get 27 reps and I was NOT happy about it.  I planned on redoing the workout on Saturday but unfortunately did not have time before my flight left for San Francisco on Sunday.

I assumed that San Francisco would be a break from everything crossfit. HA. I thought wrong. First of all, the number of people here with crossfit apparel/shoes is incredible. I feel like 2 out of 10 people I passed yesterday were wearing Rogue t-shirts.  On my Monday morning jog, I was incredible lost and trying to find my way down to the water. While I was running I saw about 15 runners ahead of me. I assumed they were heading where I wanted to go and tagged along behind. Low and behold, they turn right instead of going straight and lead me straight into San Francisco Crossfit. Yippee!! I had found my sanctuary.  Unfortunately, I missed the Open gym times on Saturday due to being on an airplane. That did not, however stop me from talking to the owner and buying a t-shirt! According to the owner, the particular gym I was in the only the 26th Crossfit gym to ever open. It is pretty incredible how much it has grown in such a little amount of time. Anyway, can’t wait to do this weeks Open WOD of box jumps and deadlifts. Time to get back into the swing of things!

6 thoughts on “A Week Without Crossfit

1. So cool Shannon! It’s insane that you do CrossFit and I honestly never would have noticed all of the CrossFit apparel but with you exposed to it all the time, it would be awesome to notice it. Go Shannon!

2. I heard all about Crossfit when I was home over break as my mom and all of her friends are getting into it. I did not realize that it was such a large movement. It’s awesome how into it you are because it is really hard to have that much dedication for something.

3. That’s pretty exciting that even when you went away you were still led back to Crossfit, it has become so popular and widespread that you could probably find it no matter where you went. When you do something so much, I’m sure its pretty easy to get back into the swing of things. Still so impressed how much you do with Crossfit!

4. I seriously commend you for doing crossfit. The endurance you must have and the strength and just everything about it seems so incredibly challenging, and I’m just so in awe of anyone that can do it. It might also be that I’ve never in my life had anything that closely resembled upper body strength in any way, so pretty much anyone that has anything even remotely close to it is my hero. I’m much more of a cardio person, so I think I’ll stick to my elliptical and let you do all the complex crossfit stuff. Keep ip the good work though!

5. I am very impressed with your enthusiasm for working out, I really wish I was the same way. Not many people have the same dedication you do going off of what I’ve read in your blog posts this semester. It doesn’t surprise me that a lot of people are into Crossfit in San Francisco though, they tend to lead more healthier life styles over on the west coast. At the same time, it must have been pretty cool to see people participating in the same program you’re doing, on the other side of the country. I hope you had a great trip!

6. Time off only reinforces how much you love something! You must be so excited to get going again. I know I hate when my usual routine gets interrupted and then I have to get back into the groove again later. It’s interesting how many people across the country partake in Crossfit! There’s so many more than you would think. I’m glad it’s building popularity because you make it sound so awesome! Hope you enjoy being back at it 🙂