RCL 6

As a conflict photographer, Addario faces both personal and professional struggles. During Part III, a central predicament unfolds as Addario’s colleague, Elizabeth, is pregnant and asks Addario to keep this a secret.

The section portrays Elizabeth’s struggle on the job site in a war-zone carrying a child, in conjunction to Addario watching her friend combat the pain of maintaining her career. Addario was forced to lie to a G2 officer about Elizabeth’s pregnancy and continued to watch Elizabeth’s torso become a “patchwork of bumps and blotches” at the hands of fleas. At this juncture, Addario decided to be loyal to her friend and watch her friend endure the unspeakable. Addario understands Elizabeth’s love for her career and will to continue her work, but also fears Elizabeth’s health and stamina. Addario is conflicted in whether or not she should advise her friend to leave and take care of herself, or to help her friend pursue what she loves.

The employment of Elizabeth’s pregnancy into the story enhances the relatability of Addario’s writing. This story connects Addario’s personal struggles to the professional world. Should we advise our friends otherwise, or abide by their wishes?

I have faced a similar issue in the past. My friend wanted to go to a party the night before a big exam, but even though this may have seemed like a more fun option, staying in was more pragmatic. I decided not to stay quiet.

In my passion blog, I plan to highlight the struggle of speaking out. Talking about advocacy is easy, but actually helping others their expose reality is particularly unnerving, specifically when it involves victims of domestic violence or rape. Doing the right thing is always hard, especially when it leaves you vulnerable to the world’s judgement. I want to discuss the raw nature of being a victim particularly the internal conflict of advising a friend to get help despite the onlookers of men and women alike.

One thought on “RCL 6

1. Allie,
    I agree with your analysis of this conflict about holding back or speaking out. I think this is a very common issue that many can relate to. However, I am wondering if you if and how would you go about talking about advocacy in a way where it personally relates to the audience? Also, adding more about what your passion blog is about will help the readers understand the connection more clearly.