Indian Representation in Media

Representation in media is how media, like films and television portrays a certain group of people or a community. This has been a topic of discussing for many years. Especially today, it is extremely controversial topic that filmmakers and even viewers discuss after every movie. Today, I will be focusing on the discussion of India and how India is portrayed in the media.

There are many factors that go into portraying a subcontinent in a film or TV screen. However, many directors simply focus on stereotypes. Here is a list of Indian characters that many of you may be familiar with, along with the stereotype they portray:

Baljeet Tjinder from Phineas and Ferb

Baljeet from Phineas and Ferb

I am sure everyone who grew up watching Disney Channel and Nickelodeon know this character. Baljeet is Phineas and Ferb’s nerdy friend. He is the epitome of an Indian stereotype: a nerdy, grade-obsessed, little boy. He is very grade-obsessed, and he dreads failing his math tests. He is always mocked and bullied, and only portrayed as a nerd.

Ravi Ross from Jessie

Ravi Ross from the Disney Channel show- Jessie

Ravi is part of the Ross family. He was adopted from India with his Asian water-monitor lizard. He is also extremely stereotyped, starting with his accent. He speaks with a heavy accent that never waivers, despite him being raised in America for his whole life. In the show, he is also portrayed as a nerd. His whole personality revolves around school and getting good grades. In one episode, he has an identity crisis and breaks down when he does not do well in school. plays a sitar and screams in Hindi when he is angry.

Raj from Bing Bang Theory

Raj Koothrappali- Big Bang Theory

Raj is an astrophysicist, again, who is portrayed as a nerd. He has a heavy accent, as well and he suffers from anxiety. He is also a heavy gamer and is portrayed as having a gaming addiction. Although he is not as severely stereotyped, he still falls in line with the other examples. He is socially awkward, and only used for comedic effect.

The common denominator between these examples is that they are all nerdy and thick-accented. These Indian stereotypes are so harmful and also inaccurate.

However recently, there has actually been an increase in Indian representation. For example, most recently, the film RRR became extremely successful, especially with its song ‘Naatu Naatu’ winning a Golden Globe and a Grammy. There are also so many more Indian characters that are not being stereotyped. For example, Mo Banjaree from Lemonade Mouth, Devi Vishwakumar from Never Have I Ever, and even Kate Sharma from Bridgerton. So, I am really grateful.

Overall, it is very frustrating to see inaccurate representations of Indian people in the media. Hopefully in the future, there is more representation of Indian people, especially different cultures and subgroups of India.

Let’s Talk About Disney’s Portrayal of Indians – Arts + Culture (affinitymagazine.us)

15 Stereotypes Indians Are Tired Of Seeing In Western Movies & TV (screenrant.com)

Names you can drop. Iconic Indian characters in Hollywood. | Folomojo

What Exactly is Media Representation Anyway? – Arab Film and Media Institute (AFMI) (arabfilminstitute.org)

‘RRR’ Golden Globe Win: Rajinikanth, A.R. Rahman Rejoice – Variety

Pictures:

Baljeet Tjinder | Disney Wiki | Fandom

Ravi Ross | Heroes Wiki | Fandom

Kunal Nayyar, star of The Big Bang Theory, says the show may end soon – BBC News

Read 2 comments

1. There is not a large Indian population where I am from, so these representations in the media are the only access to the Indian culture I have. I believe this is toxic, especially since the little representation in the media is not accurate. However, I did really enjoy the show, “Never Have I Ever,” and, from what I read, is a pretty accurate representation of young Indian girls trying to stray away from the Indian culture. However, I would never know because I am not Indian and am not close to anyone who is Indian.

2. I know in my hometown, there is a pretty good population of Indian people. It is definitely a toxic representation in social media, and there should be more representation in general. Although I would not know personally what this is like for young girls, I hope that in the future this gets better for everyone.