Archives for October 2023

Just take it all run day at a time.

Hello Reader, I hope you enjoy what I have to say 

Running, sprinting, and jogging are the best ways for humans to exercise. Being able to run at a certain speed for a certain distance is a skill. Even though many people do not enjoy running, I consider myself part of the small group of individuals that enjoy a nice run and all forms of running, whether it is a sprint or a nice long run. Running is the best form of exercise for humans because you can track your progress, it is the most convenient way to exercise, and it promotes longevity. 

Tracking your progress is quite easy to do and it builds incentives to push yourself and achieve the goals you set for yourself. Whether it is based off time and trying to run a certain distance faster than last time or just running longer than last time. Always keeping goals for yourself in terms of running is a good thing to keep track of because it makes you better and you obtain a sense of relief and happiness that your hard work and dedication towards your craft was all worth it.  

Running is without a doubt the easiest form of exercising. Running does not require anything but proper attire and enough space to complete your task. You can run around a track, trails, parks, or if you do not have time for that just running around in your backyard for exercise a certain number of times works as well. Gym memberships and weights and the equipment used to get stronger is expensive and requires the proper space for all those weights and machines to be used effectively. For running the most expensive thing you might purchase is a good pair of running shoes or a watch to help time yourself and track your progress. 

Building up endurance and speed for running is hard to start but once you have become used to it and the physical demands of running things become a lot easier. People can run for a long time, and it is extremely healthy to stay active the older you get. As time goes on being able to run fast will become harder and harder but being able to run long distances will not become that difficult. In terms of marathons, you will always see a variety of people. From kids under ten to adults over sixty. Being able to move around at an old age is something people take for granted so building up the passion tolerance to running can only benefit someone throughout their lifetime. 

In conclusion, running can be overlooked and just flat out not fun because of the pain you experience after exerting a lot of effort and the strain it can have on your body when you are not used to it. But running is the best form of exercise for humans because you can track your progress, it is the most convenient way to exercise, and it promotes longevity. 

RCL Blog #7

Hello, Reader, I hope you enjoy what I have to say! 

The most helpful feedback I have received from the peer review workshops was from Keegan. She gave me great feedback and let me know to add more resources and to also use some personal experience in my writing to get my point across and explain the shift between online and offline education. I was able to take that advice and add more detail into my essay and it is overall better quality. 

The most interesting thing I discovered researching this topic was the impact on mental health and seeing a difference in students’ test scores. Because all assignments are online it would seem easier for school to be online because you have all the resources to be successful but in fact it is the opposite. Losing that connection of face-to-face interactions and proper learning environments took a toll on students and teachers and even though students are given the resources to thrive they do not because they lose the will and motivation to even attempt schoolwork and do well in school. 

The most important thing about the shift as a whole is observing the change in how school is operated now on all levels. Even though there was some technological involvement throughout school it has now gone pretty much completely online just with face-to-face interactions. Taking the pros of both online and offline school and combining them. 

This project has helped me become a better writer diving deep into my topics and doing thorough research to provide support and evidence for anything that I am trying to argue. 

RCL Blog #6

Throughout time the ways of education and learning in general have changed. The older version uses items like pencils, papers, and now the newer version uses computers and has converted to digital assignments. Just like how people and technology have changed and advanced, the ways of school have changed and advanced that has gone from in person learning that requires pens and paper to learn has now shifted towards the use of technology and being able to complete a school year completely online with no interactions in person. Students and teachers have experienced a shift in the style of learning from in person to online and shows a shift that alters scores, changes the dynamic of the classroom, and forces students and teachers to change their style of school.  

The ways of learning and what is taught change constantly. Whatever is being taught has an impact on students and can alter scores from year to year. In an article written by CBS October 22,2022, the article says “Nationally, kids whose schools met mostly online in the 2020-2021 school year performed 13 percentage points lower in math and 8 percentage points lower in reading compared with schools meeting mostly in person, according to a 2022 study by Brown University economist Emily Oster.” This proves that online learning did impact students and their scores from that school year. During that period when school had to be online it was such an unexpected change. The article also says, “From March 2020 to June 2021, the average student in Chicago lost 21 weeks of learning in reading and 20 weeks in math, equivalent to missing half a year of school”. This quote supports the enormous impact online learning had on students and differs when compared to in person learning and how much the average students’ scores alter.  

Just like how the scores of students changed due to online school, the dynamic and relationships between students and teachers also changed. With in-person learning, students can meet with teachers and other students. Being surrounded by positive individuals in a learning environment. Also, students can ask teachers questions in person and be walked through the process of learning, making it easier. Teachers also benefit from in person learning being able to interact with students and connect with students one on one. On the website University Affairs an article that was written about the differences between online and offline learning says “The physicality of in-person classes presents a sense of community that can easily be lost online. Students note that in the classroom they can make personal connections with like-minded peers who share their scholarly interests. This kind of bonding experience is not easily replicated online, as most students rarely converse with each other during and after an online class.” The quote explains the ability students have been able to connect and communicate with one another and the difficulty of trying to connect online when everyone is simply behind a screen. 

The struggle of scores and relationships in the classroom leads up to the shift in the overall style of school being changed. It shows how difficult change can be for those that are used to a certain style of education that was in person to now having a complete online curriculum. In an article written by the U.S (United States) (United States) Department of Education it is said that “Data collected before and during the COVID-19 pandemic have shown that in-person learning, on the whole, leads to better academic outcomes, greater levels of student engagement, higher rates of attendance, and better social and emotional well-being, and ensures access to critical school services and extracurricular activities when compared to remote learning.” This quote explains differences between online and offline learning and the shift between learning style. It shows that throughout time we have become more geared towards online learning and have simply left the main use of pencil and paper in the past. 

In conclusion there is a shift between online and offline learning and the effects it has had on students and teachers. It shows a shift that alters scores, changes the dynamic of the classroom, and forces students and teachers to change their style of school. 

RCL Blog #5

The topic I want to address is the shift in the cost of shoes. Throughout the years the cost of shoes has gradually increased and depending on brand the cost will vary. The prices of a quality shoe are well over $100. Just to buy proper footwear to protect yourself is essential and the current price of shoes is unbelievable. The brand I specifically want to target is Air Jordan it’s the shoe brand that skyrocketed the price of shoes and the demand for it was incredible. The time period of this change is about roughly 40-50 years since the Air Jordan brand revolves around Michael Jordan and his professional basketball career.

The shift is important because the Air Jordan brand revolutionized fashion and clothing in general. Making the demand for these items more expensive and ultimately becoming sacred items that are collected and can be worth up to millions of dollars.

The Air Jordan brand is something that more than likely will not be recreated again. Building a connection between sports and fashion.

I want to address the facts and the impact the brand itself has had on sports, fashion and the world as a whole.

THE WINTER SEASON IS APPROACHING!

Hello reader! I hope you enjoy what I have to say! 

This past weekend I went back home to Maryland to see my parents, get a haircut, and bring anything I forgot to bring with me when moving in (Winter gear). I left school on Friday. Going back home I was wearing shorts and a hoodie just to keep my arms warm. While in Maryland my parents and I went shopping and I got boots, a jacket, gloves, and thick socks. At first while I was getting these things, I really did not think I would need it immediately, but I was so wrong. I came back to school on Sunday, and the weather was the opposite of when I left. Winter is rapidly approaching. The winter season is the best time of year because of the holidays, the style of clothing, and special occasions that only happen during the wintertime. 

When it gets colder near the end of the year, we experience three major holidays people look forward to yearly! Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas are some of the most popular holidays. Most of the world celebrates Halloween like the US (United States), Mexico, England, Italy, Guatemala, and Ireland are some of many places that celebrate Halloween. Thanksgiving is a holiday everyone looks forward to because it allows people to get together with friends and family and you get to eat delicious food! Places like the US, Australia, Grenada, Canada, and Liberia are some of the places that support Thanksgiving. Finally for Christmas it is a worldwide holiday that is virtually celebrated all over the world.  

One of the things that gets overlooked when you think about the wintertime is the style of clothing changes. Instead of wearing comfortable clothes to stay cool and prevent you from getting hot you now get to keep yourself warm. For me personally I brought a lot of clothes that were for when it got cold, so while it was still warm, I could only wear so many things that were appropriate for the weather. Now that it is colder, I now can wear everything in my closet from hoodies, sweaters, and specific shoes meant for colder weather. It is easier to stay warm than to stay cool anyway. When you are cold you just keep adding layers of clothing. However, when you are hot removing layers may provide relief, but you still cannot escape the heat. 

Wintertime is great for students, especially during the school year. When it is warm your only days off from school are either holidays or you are sick. When there is a certain amount of snow on the ground, school gets cancelled, and you get a free day. Students all over wish for snow days because it is the only time of year where school can get cancelled for natural reasons. Snow is also one of the coolest parts of the wintertime. You can only get snow for so many months in a year so usually it is important when a certain area gets a lot of snow. With snow this allows many games and fun activities to occur that just do not happen when it is warm. Being able to sled, have snowball fights, and create snowmen are all things that are special during the wintertime.  

In conclusion, wintertime is a wonderful time of year for all people. It signifies the end of a year and provides the holidays, a refreshing style of clothing, and special occasions that do not happen any other time of the year.