Shawty got that existential narcissism

Fave Feminist Spotlight

I’ve realized looking back at my previous posts that they tend to lie on the serious side, and that I haven’t really gotten the chance to have fun with this blog yet. So, for this week’s post I’m going to talk about some my favorite feminists and discuss the reasons for why I worship admire them. Some are fictional, some are foreign, but all of them are formative for my feminist awakening.

Leslie Knope- Easily one of the most passionate and inspiring female characters currently on television, Leslie Knope is a feminist icon who is totally relatable and lovable. Watching her take on sexism in bureaucracy and small-town politics, never backing down from any challenge, all while cracking me up, completely revolutionized my concept of feminist. She looks up towards women who have paved the way for other women, and dedicates her life to empowering young girls. It doesn’t hurt that she is played by my favorite comedian, Amy Poehler.

a_560x0

Malala Yousfzai – Malala is basically my baby. She might only be a seventeen-year-old Pakistani girl, but she has accomplished and faced more in her young life so far than most ever will. Malala began blogging for BBC at the age of 11, speaking out against Taliban’s oppressive rule. Because her increasing international recognition, she was shot in the head on her way to school by a gunman sent by the Taliban. Through a miracle, Malala was able to survive the bullet and fully recover without permanent brain damage. She refuses to let even an attempt at her life stop her from campaigning for girls’ education everywhere. When she received news that she won the Nobel Peace Prize she finished her entire school day until releasing her official statement <3<3<3. Now that is a woman of her words.

inspiring-feminist-quotes-malala

Hayao Mizyaki– Filmmaker Hayao Miyazaki is known for his cinematic masterpieces that touch the hearts of viewers around the world. The worlds he builds are not divided into black and white, but rather as places where good and evil coexist. While his works are a reflection of our own reality, there is always a gentle sense of hope that carries throughout. Most notably, his protagonists are strong young women who cover wide range of personalities, backgrounds, and talents. Although they may have a male companion or supporter, they are always the heroes of their own stories. In form of media that hardly ever strays from gender roles, Miyazaki films continue to overturn conventions. Both children and adults from all over can learn from the message of his work: we must learn to “see with eyes unclouded by hate.”

Hayao-Miyazaki2

Beyoncé Giselle Knowles-Carter-What feminist blog would complete without some shameless Beyoncé worshipping. She an extremely talented woman who is completely in charge of her life, her choices, and her sexuality. While other celebrities shy away from the label of “feminist,” she is proudly embodies the concept. By bringing strong feminists ideals in through her music ( “Flawless”, “Single Ladies”, “Girls Run World”), she teaches young girls to love themselves, love other women, and love simply being woman.

tumblr_naufb6OFwI1qc3ni5o1_500

3 Responses to “Fave Feminist Spotlight”

1. Aracelis Angelica Velez

I actually learned about Malala in my high school english class near the end of senior year. I was very inspired by how such a young girl was able to make such a huge difference and be so strong. Having their life threatened is enough to make any adult shy away from their cause, but for a young girl to stay for what she stands for after almost being killed is truly amazing. As for Hayao Mizyaki, I love his work! Totoro and Spirited Away are 2 very prominent memories from my childhood, I’ve seen each at least a dozen times. And of course Queen B, I know I always get my groove on when I hear “Run the World”!! You’ve got some great feminist role models here, it’s no wonder you have such a well informed feminist view!

2. Kelsey Virginia Shampoe

I loved this post! I just started watching Parks and Rec at the beginning of the year and I’m hooked. Leslie is one of the funniest characters on any TV show I’ve seen before. I’m not familiar with the director, but I do know the other two and they are also incredibly inspiring. I think with Malala’s story, many Americans were rather ignorant of the plights of women in other countries. Although it is tragic that such an event had to happen to bring attention to the situation in Pakistan, the world is fortunate that such a strong girl was able to endure it. And Beyonce. What words are there even for her. She’s Beyonce.

3. Alexander Chan

pragya, this is a fantastic post! I remember readinig about Yousfzai during the week of the Nobel Prize awards, and I was amazed at her accomplishments. Her active citizenship and campaigning makes me feel like I should be more active and engaged in socio-political problems! Furthermore, Miyazaki, is one of my favorite animators! I’ve watched most of his movies. I love his use of strong, female protagonists, especially in Kiki’s Delivery Service. He is a great activist who does so by using charming, beautifully-animated movies!