Over 90% of the world is right handed. I’m in the other 10%. Growing up playing sports i was always the awkward lefty. When coaches would demonstrate how to do something, i was the girl who needed them to demonstrate it the other way also. I’m the writer that smudges the ink on my hand because the letters come before my hand.Why does this happen? As far as scientific explanations it’s pretty much still a mystery. However there are some popular theories:
First states that it’s hereditary. It’s been found that left-handed parents produce 25% more left handed children then others. But this is conflicted by the fact that about 10 percent of identical twins have different handedness (yes this is a word by the way). That makes it hard to believe there’s a gene that responsible for your handedness.
Another theory is about your position in the womb or fetal events. Twins are almost twice as likely to be left handed then single birth children. Twins are also more likely to experience fetal injuries, as they’re sharing the womb with another being. Scientists have tried to link these two facts and research if this can be proven. I however, am not a twin but it could be due to positioning in the womb.
So as of now, there’s no definite answer as to why I’m a lefty. Hopefully one day i will find out, but as of now im clueless. When thinking of all the bad that comes with being a lefty, i have to remember the good parts too. Lefty’s in general are less left-handed then righty’s are right-handed. This means it’s easier for me to do tasks with both hands then it is for most righties.
Here are some more lefty- talents.