Why am I a Lefty?

Over 90% of the world is right handed. I’m in the other 10%. Growing up playing sports i was always the awkward lefty. When coaches would demonstrate how to do something, i was the girl who needed them to demonstrate it the other way also. I’m the writer that smudges the ink on my hand because the letters come before my hand.Why does this happen? As far as scientific explanations it’s pretty much still a mystery. However there are some popular theories:

First states that it’s hereditary. It’s been found that left-handed parents produce 25% more left handed children then others. But this is conflicted by the fact that about 10 percent of identical twins have different handedness (yes this is a word by the way). That makes it hard to believe there’s a gene that responsible for your handedness.
Another theory is about your position in the womb or fetal events. Twins are almost twice as likely to be left handed then single birth children. Twins are also more likely to experience fetal injuries, as they’re sharing the womb with another being. Scientists have tried to link these two facts and research if this can be proven. I however, am not a twin but it could be due to positioning in the womb.
So as of now, there’s no definite answer as to why I’m a lefty. Hopefully one day i will find out, but as of now im clueless. When thinking of all the bad that comes with being a lefty, i have to remember the good parts too. Lefty’s in general are less left-handed then righty’s are right-handed. This means it’s easier for me to do tasks with both hands then it is for most righties.
Here are some more lefty- talentshands.jpg

13 thoughts on “Why am I a Lefty?

1. KIRA LEE MARSHALL-MCKELVEY

I’m a lefty as well, but what’s weird is that both my parents are right-hand dominant. However, I’m completely fine with being a lefty because even though my paper smudges when I write, left-handed people are more likely to be right-brained, and thus, have more strength in creative fields. Not to say there can’t be logical left-handed people, but many great artists are fellow lefties.
    In addition, I came across a study that states that left-handed people are more likely to write backwards, or in “mirror writing.” Not all lefties have these abilities (I know I don’t), but almost all mirror writing is done left-handed. It makes sense, seeing as right-handed people are used to writing left to write, so it would logically be switched for left-handed people. However, right handed people are still capable of mirror writing, and it’s common for them to switch to it after falling victim to a stroke, or another instance in which they can no longer use their dominant hand.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2117809/

2. NICHOLAS WILLIAM MARSICO

on a personal note, I have what is called Cross-dominance. I do things with a certain hand and then do other things with another. for instance, I write with my right hand. but, I play guitar with my left hand as well as throw a football with my left and swing a bat. its very strange but then I can eat silverware with both hands? its very confusing but i like this article. back in the 1600s, this use to be a sign of the Devil; people use to speculate if someone was left handed then he/she was a witch or practiced sorcery. also, according to this article, there are health risks for being left handed? sounds suspicious to me but worth reading.
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204083204577080562692452538.html

3. ALSTON SHIELDS

Like most of the people commenting I find it facinating that this is still a mystery. I am in that 10% as well. I have child who my wife and I believe to be right handed. Watching him grow I watched what hand he used more. It was impossible to tell what hand was his dominant until these last few months. It almost leads me to believe it is a preference or chance.

I say this because in history left handed people were viewed to be of the devil. I actually have an uncle that went to a catholic school and they forced him to use his right hand for everything. He now is right hand dominant. We can all use both hands effectively if we work at it. Most people have one “dumb hand” due to lack of development. My right hand is pretty much retarded when I attempt anything because I failed to develop those fine motor skills.

Eyes could also play a factor into this as well. I learned that we actually have a dominant eye when my brother and I were at basic. While he is right handed we learned that the reason he was such a terrible shot was because he was actually left eye dominant. He now shoots as a lefty and does quite well. My brother in law swings a bat and club right handed, but is left hand dominant.

This issue is absolutely fascinating. Thanks for bringing it up for discussion.

per this class requirement here is a link. I strongly recommend reading it. Us left handed people will get a laugh.

5 reasons Being left-handed screws you for life

4. SHUQI MAO

Hi,your blog reminds me of my classmates in middle school. Though I am not a lefty and I cannot feel the inconvienient to became a lefty, I have even wanted to be a lefty when I was in middle school. There were three lefies in our class that time, and all of them are very smart,in other words they were good at working out maths problems. It seemed that they were the quicker-thinker than the righty. I even noticed that,some one who use left hand to play sports like badminton or ping-pang(they are actually not the lefty in daily life) will be better than those who use the right hand.They can cathch the ball more accurate and quiker. Maybe the use of left hand make some part of our brain more active, that leads to the more creative in the thinking. From a study, it is said that “Thus, a lefty is 150% more likely to be a genius than a righty”. So, when I am young…I once tried to use my left hand to do some writing, but it turned out really difficult for me.
    Don’be painful,to me,it is lucky to become a lefty.
    Here is more info.
    http://health.howstuffworks.com/human-body/parts/left-handed.htm

5. EMILY MADIGAN PHINNEY

I had no idea that this was a mystery at all. I assumed that being a lefty is heredity because so many people in my family are hereditary. I’m a righty, but both of my parents are left-handed. Not only my parents, but 3 of my mom’s other siblings are leftys as well as my father’s father. I always found it interesting when my mom would point out things that she had to do or did because she was a lefty. For example, my mother looks at catalogs and magazines backwards because she is left handed and claims that magazines were made for right handed people. She said in elementary school she actually would get in trouble for smearing her handwriting, something that she couldn’t help. When my father first taught me how to play tennis, he taught me how to play as a lefty because that’s what he did, without thinking of my differences. (It didn’t take long for him to realize why my forehand sucked and to adjust the problem). Here is a really interesting article from Stanford that talks about genetics and other possible factors:

http://genetics.thetech.org/ask/ask124

6. EMILY MADIGAN PHINNEY

http://genetics.thetech.org/ask/ask124

7. EMILY MADIGAN PHINNEY

http://genetics.thetech.org/ask/ask124

8. EMILY MADIGAN PHINNEY

http://genetics.thetech.org/ask/ask124

9. EMILY MADIGAN PHINNEY

http://genetics.thetech.org/ask/ask124

10. EMILY MADIGAN PHINNEY

http://genetics.thetech.org/ask/ask124

11. KAITLYN ROSE ZURCHER

I’m also left-handed, and the fact that it’s still largely a scientific mystery is very interesting. In your last paragraph, you mentioned that left-handed people are generally more flexible when it comes to working with both hands. I have to wonder why this is so. It could be because of some natural talent or quality that lefties always have, like maybe it has to do with differences of brain hemispheres or some other internal reason. However, I think it’s probably because the majority of the world is right-handed and lefties have to learn to work with tools that are designed for right-handed people. And if that theory is true, I wonder if having to learn to adapt to a right-handed world has an effect on a lefty’s ability to adapt to other challenges in their life.

12. KAITLYN ROSE ZURCHER

13. KAITLYN ROSE ZURCHER