The Deadliest Warrior

There is only so much a student can do when they are stranded at East Halls during a hurricane. Since I was forced to stay in my room for hours without any schoolwork, I decided to go onto Netflix to watch a movie or TV series.  The show I decided to watch was The Deadliest Warrior, shown on Spike.  After watching an episode I figured it would be a good blog idea because of the science they use to make the show possible.

The purpose behind this show is to collect two groups of warriors in the past or present and battle them against each other based on their weapons to see who would win the battle if they were ever to fight each other.  Obviously this show has its flaws but it is very interesting to watch the show and see the science behind the weapons and listen to experts predict which warrior would win.   An expert in that warrior’s field represents the warrior from the past or present.  For example, the first episode was Apache vs. Gladiators.  The Apache was represented by two men that specialize in the Apache weapons and likewise for the Gladiators.

The show is hosted by Geoff Desmoulin (biomedical scientist and high speed camera operator), Dr. Armand Dorian, (medical consultant), and Max Geiger (simulations programmer).  The show is broken down into certain categories of weapons; short range, medium range, long range, and special weapons.  The hosts then figure out which of the two weapons were more effective or better than the other.  Finally after the four weapons were shown for each warrior, a simulation is shown and a winner is decided.

Finally, I will explain the science behind the hosts figuring out which warrior’s weapon is better than the other.  “The teams test the assigned weapons on various targets including human silhouette targets, mannequins, pig and cattle carcasses, and ballistics gel torsos, heads, limbs, etc. Additionally pressure mats, accelerometers, chronometers, and other measuring tools are used to test such figures as the striking force and speed of each weapon. Sometimes, the targets are covered with armor that is representative of what would be worn by the warrior’s opponent. While the damage inflicted on the armor by the weapon is factored into the weapon’s effectiveness.  All of the weapon tests are recorded with high-speed photography, and the results are fed into a computer that measures the damage each weapon is capable of inflicting.” (Wikipedia)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMZDDGtxu38