IS THE ALS ICE BUCKET CHALLENGE POINTLESS?

As we all know, the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge is popular amongst stars and everyday people all across the nation. Many of you have probably already been nominated for the challenge and completed it with in your time constraints. For those who are a bit “out of the loop”, the Ice Bucket Challenge is: when one simply pours a bucket of ice and water on themselves then nominates other people to do the same (with in 24 hours) in hopes of raising awareness for the disease ALS (Lou Gehrig’s disease). If the person decides to deny the challenge they must donate money to The ALS Association. Well, what exactly is ALS you may ask? ALS (according to websters dictionary) is a “disease of the nerve cells in the brain and spinal cord that control voluntary muscle movement.” With no exact cure for this disease, it is very sad , for most patients end up paralyzed. With that being said, researchers are working vigorously to find a cure for this morose disease.

The real question at hand here is whether or not this popular challenge is actually helping with raising money for research. While many blow off the challenge claiming they’re not “band wagoners” ; many accept it and take part in the movement. According to The ALS Association, they have raised a total of $108.4 million as of September 4 due to to the Ice Bucket Challenge. Not to shabby ,hey? So i guess it is safe to say, the Ice Bucket Challenge isn’t as pointless as it seems.

If you guys leave feedback, I’m curious to know how many of you were nominated for the challenge and how many of you accepted it! Also, did any of you donate money?

Links:

http://www.alsa.org/fight-als/ice-bucket-challenge.html

http://www.popsugar.com/Best-Celebrity-Ice-Bucket-Challenges-35505820

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_Bucket_Challenge

ICE

18 thoughts on “IS THE ALS ICE BUCKET CHALLENGE POINTLESS?

1. Corey Scott Lyman

I believe the ice bucket challenge was not pointless at all. However dumb the actual “challenge” was, it still raised an unbelievable amount of awareness and money. That to me is never pointless. Dumping ice cold water on your head is about the easiest thing you can do to get peoples attention and by calling others out to do it as well makes people not want to back down over all these social media sites that everyone constantly monitors. I met a ton of people that didn’t even know what ALS was before this challenge came to be, but as soon as they saw their friends doing it online and calling other people out, of course they had to accept and then immediately understood what this challenge really was about. It’s dumb to dump ice water on your head just for the sake of saying you did it, but for a good cause? That’s never pointless.

2. Sarah Abdallah

I’m really interested on the fact you did a blog on the ALS ice bucket challenge. The ice bucket challenge, if anything creates more awareness than I’ve ever seen in the world. Everyone at this school can tell you about the ALS ice bucket challenge,
    Here is a link on how the president (supposedly the most influential man in America) donated a certain amount of money to it.
    It was also really easy to do. It was a nation wide phenomena because everyone found it socially acceptable to put ice water on their heads in the middle of summer.

3. Andrea Marie Linn

I was nominated while I was on family vacation in Florida the week before I came to Penn State. Being on family vaca did nothing to stop me! I thought it was a great cause and so I went onto my room’s balcony, used the ice bucket we get with the room and did the ALS challenge! It was extremely cold but it was for a very good cause. Yet, I nominated three people that did not do the challenge. I was really disappointed in my friends. They used the excuse, “Oh, I didn’t feel like it,” as an excuse. What they needed to realize that this challenge is to give ALS recognition and inform people that ALS is a problem. I encourage anyone who gets nominated in the upcoming future to do it, but you can always donate. I donated a small amount, but when many people donate a tiny bit of money, the money adds up!

4. Maryann Deanna Valentine

I was nominated for the ALS Ice bucket challenge. At first, the whole Ice bucket challenge was a little contradicting in my eyes. Facebook posts would say things along the lines of “I challenge __ and __. Complete the challenge or donate $100 dollars to the ALS foundation.” To me, this sounded awful and I decided not to make the video. It was almost like saying do the challenge or you’ll be forced to donate (OH! How Awful!) Therefore, everybody was making these silly videos as a Get Out of Jail Free card. It was at this moment that my mom explained her point of view. She explained how these videos and hashtags raised so much awareness for the ALS foundation. No matter how many individuals decided not to donate, many who normally would not donate to this cause were now donating. I loved the idea of this. I feel as if the ALS ice bucket challenge was a great and unique way to spread awareness. I am so happy to hear how much money was raised, and how much fun everyone had while doing it! If anyone has yet to donate and would like to, here is where you can: http://www.alsa.org/fight-als/ice-bucket-challenge.html

5. Maryann Deanna Valentine

I was nominated for the ALS Ice bucket challenge. At first, the whole Ice bucket challenge was a little contradicting in my eyes. Facebook posts would say things along the lines of “I challenge __ and __. Complete the challenge or donate $100 dollars to the ALS foundation.” To me, this sounded awful and I decided not to make the video. It was almost like saying do the challenge or you’ll be forced to donate (OH! How Awful!) Therefore, everybody was making these silly videos as a Get Out of Jail Free card. It was at this moment that my mom explained her point of view. She explained how these videos and hashtags raised so much awareness for the ALS foundation. No matter how many individuals decided not to donate, many who normally would not donate to this cause were now donating. I loved the idea of this. I feel as if the ALS ice bucket challenge was a great and unique way to spread awareness. I am so happy to hear how much money was raised, and how much fun everyone had while doing it!

6. Olivia Yvette Noble

I did the challenge and had a great time doing it! I nominated lots of friends and family members to do it as well. Some of them were just not up for the challenge and actually payed the money to the foundation, which I thought was a really cool thing to do. I thought this challenge was great awareness for ALS.

7. ibg5025

Although I have not been nominated myself to complete the ASL challenge, I do believe it is a creative way to create awareness for a cause. It has also proved extremely effective, well known celebrities with huge fan bases such as Kim Kardashian and Ansel Elgort have participated in the challenge. I believe getting famous people involved helps a cause because the are able to raise awareness to a great amount of people in a short amount of time with the use of social media. I do believe the challenge has had its drawbacks with several people being injured and bullies taking advantage on a autistic teen,http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/bullies-dump-urine-faeces-spit-4175044

8. Aleksandra Eva Kolliopoulos

I believe that this challenge is a phenomenal way to raise awareness and promote donations towards this terrible disease. People have really utilized social media to spread the word and the act of doing the ice bucket challenge. I was nominated by four people to complete the challenge, and I happily completed it and passed it on to four more people. It was a fun and active way to raise awareness and funds for the ALS Association. Any amount of money donated, no matter how menial, will help make a difference in the fight towards finding a cure. So why not spread the word and do the ice bucket challenge if it is only for a greater good?

9. Autumn Dugger

I believe that the ice bucket challenge has been helpful in spreading awareness of the diseases and raising money. I think the most positive outcome has been with celebrities because they have made the most monetary contributions. Everyday people are also donating but I feel like certain people just accept the challenge as a social event and do not fully understand the purpose of the challenge.

10. jvs6117

I was not nominated for a ALS challenge but I am glad you decided to create a post about it. The reason I say this is because a lot of people are not aware of the associated disease of the challenge. People are more aware of the part of just pouring ice cold water on some one but in fact it is more than that. I knew that is was to raise money for ALS but I wasn’t aware of how much money they have accumulated thus far. This makes me excited to see such a positive and growing movement. I wish others will create other challenges for other disease because it brings us together. Have you seen the eagles ALS challenge (I’m from Philly)? Check it out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXLkbUyolMQ

P.S. I think we should have a class ALS challenge or maybe even a school one if that was organized it would be fun and everyone can put in to donate. Maybe someone can organize it. It would be fun and go towards a good cause.

11. Amanda Marie Binkley

I believe the ice bucket challenge is making a difference. Even if the vast majority of the population completes the challenge without donating, many of the athletes, singers, and actors are donating large amounts of money to the cause. I feel even if you are nominated to do the challenge, you should donate a little bit of money whether you complete the challenge or not. I watched a video on the ice bucket challenge and it was about the start of the challenge and the man who first challenged all of his friends. The video is very touching because in the end, the man himself completes the challenge despite having ALS. He talked about how much the challenge means to him and to everyone affected by ALS. To see such a huge challenge compacted and brought to a personal level shows that every last penny donated really does help.

Here is the link to the video:

12. Adam Greene

I do not believe that the ALS Bucket challenge is pointless at all. It has raised so much awareness around the globe and has exploded into the social media. You see it everywhere. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and it is even Yaked about on Yik Yak. I was nominated two times for the challenge and I did accept it! I did the challenge, but I did not donate any money, which I feel really horrific about. I have an alternative to making everybody happy though. I believe that everyone who does the ALS bucket challenge should donate at least $5 to the cause. So, not only do people get the thrill of getting a bucket of ice poured on their head, but the ALS Foundation will be raising more money on top of it. So, those people doing the challenge would be donating and raising awareness at the same time. Sounds like a win-win situation to me. Imagine if everyone who did the challenge donated at least $5… all that I can say is that the ALS Foundation would make a hell of a lot more money than $108.4 million.

For more information about what ALS and the ALS Foundation is, check out this link: http://www.alsa.org/fight-als/ice-bucket-challenge.html

13. Katherine Jane Ballantyne

I was nominated for the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge and I did accept! I thought that they were funny and of course everyone was doing it on social media, but I felt obligated to do it after I was nominated. I think that it’s absolutely awesome how much awareness has been brought to this terrible disease, that unfortunately, does not receive the same attention that other awful diseases do, like cancer, diabetes and heart disease. Of course, it’s not as common as the aforementioned but that’s what makes it even more important to raise awareness for. Everyone knows about cancer and raises tons of money in search for the cure, but more rare diseases deserve fundraising efforts as well. We should come up with even more efforts to raise awareness for diseases that don’t affect everyone, such as Sclerodoma, an auto immune disease close to me or GAN, which is a neurodegenerative disorder.

14. Jenna Rae Stoklosa

I think that the ALS ice bucket challenge is wonderful! Just as you said, over 100 million dollars has been raised! The challenge has gained attention of celebrities and sports teams, and has taken over everyones Facebook newsfeed. Some might find it annoying, but I don’t understand how a viral video that is actually making a difference can be annoying. It is bringing attention to such an awful disease, and whether or not a person in one of the videos has donated money, their video will be shared with others who will decide to donate money. This is one of the best viral fads that has happened because it is actually helping others.

15. Marian Olivia Joy Mullen

I strongly believe that the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge is making a HUGE difference in helping us move toward finding a cure for this terrible disease. I actually had a friend who was diagnosed with ALS three years ago. I honestly didn’t know what it was at first, then I did some research and found out how heartbreakingly awful this disease can be. It wasn’t long before he started to lose control of his muscles and after a year he was completely paralyzed. He couldn’t move, he couldn’t talk, all he could do was move his eyes. The worst part was his brain was fully functional. It was like he was consciously trapped inside his own body. He died about a year ago. I heard about this challenge and jumped at the opportunity to give to such a great cause. You can’t fight with those numbers! If dumping ice on your head is what it takes to bring awareness to this disease and any other disease, then I guess it was a pretty great idea.
    http://mda.org/disease/amyotrophic-lateral-sclerosisiq_id=70605347&source_code=140802AAAC030705-VQ16-c

16. Kirya Ades-Aron

Although the ice bucket challenge can be incredibly annoying because it fills up page after page on your Facebook newsfeed, I don’t think it’s pointless at all! Did you know what ALS was before this “challenge”? Because I didn’t. I was nominated and I felt proud of myself because I helped to raise awareness to people that also didn’t know what ALS is.

17. Katherine Jane Ballantyne

18. Olivia Diane Talbot

I am a firm believer that the ice bucket challenge made a difference. Look at those numbers…numbers don’t lie. I was nominated for the ice bucket challenge, I did accept it and I did donate money. Although I did not donate $100 or ever $50, I still donated and it made a difference! Did you take the ? Did you donate?