Are e-cigs harmful?

ecig

A huge debate in today’s society is the health effects of e-cigarettes. The popularity of this product is growing rapidly, especially in today’s youth. Smoking in general is starting at even younger ages and new looks to cigarettes make it even “cooler” in our society’s youth. The “coolness” of smoking was on a huge decrease from what is used to be in the 70s and 80s but with this new look it is back on the upscale again. The problem with health facts about the e-cigs is that they are to new to know about the long-term effects they have on people. The best article I read was the one I found on web md and you can read that here. The most dangerous part about smoking was the burning, and e-cigs don’t burn so can this mean that they are “healthier”? I personally think they are just as bad as smoking normal cigarettes because people still inhale them into their lungs. Their addictiveness still has to be their because they still contain nicotine. Some people use it as way to quit cigarettes and from what I have noticed most people smoke e-cigs for a little and go right back to normal cigarettes. I don’t think it would help someone at all if they are trying to quit even if it was healthier because there is no burning. I personally think e-cigs will cause smoking to become “cool” again for teenagers. The health effects we will know about e-cigs won’t be around for quite a few years yet and by thenĀ I think it’ll be too late.

5 thoughts on “Are e-cigs harmful?

1. Gordon Alexander Bonker

I found this post to be very interesting. I have always thought that Electronic Cigarettes were a safer alternative to smoking, and did not realize that they can be so harmful. I did some research, and found that although like you said, it will take time before we find out how harmful they are to the human body, I found an article that talks about a recent study that suggests the vapor in the electronic cigarette causes forms of respiratory diseases. Check it out.
    http://health.usnews.com/health-news/articles/2014/05/07/e-cigarette-vapor-contains-potentially-harmful-particles-review

2. Alexandra Christina Nielsen

The topic of e-cigs is something widely talked about today because we are still unsure of the full and long term effects of these trendy smoking devices. I agree with some of you above that smoke is smoke no matter what the source is and inhaling it is bound to cause negative effects. Another issue related to e-cigs could be herbal cigarettes as people think because they are smoking something other than tobacco the smoke does not have a harmful effect on their health. This article: http://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/whats-so-bad-about-e-cigarettes-n89366 bring up the pint that we discussed in class about the unknown; the FDA is unsure what all the chemicals are that make up the vapor or smoke in e-cigs and thus unaware of their effects.

3. Megan Margaret Moyer

I believe that e-cigarettes are just as harmful as smoking a regular cigarette, with the idea that you should never put a foreign chemical into your body. Over time we may learn that they are not as detrimental to our health as a regular cigarette, but they still contain substances that our body is not used to, therefor they aren’t necessary. I like to hope that e-cigarettes aren’t harmful for the people who use them, but the likelihood that they are seems great to me. They might “only be a vapor” but that vapor is foreign to the human body and seems to be very detrimental to our health, like any foreign chemical.

4. Natalie Michelle Soltero Cabrera

I have a couple of friends back home that went from non smokers to e-cigs smokers, and now they are addicted. Even thou they’re not “that bad” I think they can still have bad health effects on people. I find your post very interesting. Here is a website that talks about if e-cigs are safer than smoke or not, http://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancercauses/tobaccocancer/questionsaboutsmokingtobaccoandhealth/questions-about-smoking-tobacco-and-health-e-cigarettes

5. Alyssa Marie Gregory

E-cigs are very interesting to me. I agree with you in a sense that it is to early to determine if they are healthy or not for an individual. Since they are so new we couldn’t possibly sees what the long terms effects of usage are. A few of my friends use e-cigs so it is seemingly a trend among teens as well as adults. Hopefully they don’t cause cancer or anything like regular cigs, that would be devastating to discover years from now. Anyways, I think this was written very well with a lot of thought. Nice way of adding a picture.
    Lets look at others opinion on e-cigs and if they think that they are addicting https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20120410165310AAKcpNs