Are We Becoming iDummies?

As most of you have probablygty_apple_watch_samsung_gear_jc_140909_16x9_992 heard at this point, Apple unveiled the new Apple Watch. Looking at the newly minted page Apple has added to their online store, I was greeted with the heading “There’s An Apple Watch for Everyone.” It boasts of the versatility of design between the different bands, metals, and backgrounds They even take into account larger screens for larger wrists. Your Apple Watch can be completely unique – just like you.

Samsung released an ad (an ad that made my dad say “I want that phone“) as early as 2013 according to the YouTube page. This watch does not need to be connected to an iPhone 5 at all times (like the Apple Watch) and instead focuses on advancing technology – it is a watch, phone, camera, and more. Apple on its Features page focuses primarily the fact that this watch is a phone with multiple twists and turns but does not list anything that differs from what the Gear Watch offers.

Even though we can all design our Apple Watches to look differently from each other, are we really being that different after all? Are we helping the advancement of technology or are we too scared to have something on our wrists that looks far too much like a watch phone? One article comparing the two directly admits that the Apple Watch has serious flaws that even Apple wants to work out but sides with critics that the Gear Watch is too…ugly, frankly.

So the question is, which do people side with: technology or design? Conforming or investing in the more advanced equipment?

2 thoughts on “Are We Becoming iDummies?

1. Stephanie Rose Polinak

I honestly thought the Apple Watch was the dumbest idea when I first heard about it. Why is a smart watch needed when we already have so much technology? However, the world will constantly be advancing in technology so now I’m accepting these products. I would not personally buy an Apple Watch but, if I did, I would definitely pick it over the Gear Watch based on design. Not only is it designed better than the Gear Watch, apple’s software has proven to me to be much better and easier to manage. I had a PC for years and encountered so many problems with it that I just let it die. When I bought a new laptop, a MacBook Air, I was so impressed. Apple’s software is so much more advanced and faster, just in my opinion. Maybe I’m just really behind in modern technology, but I have never been so impressed by a laptop.

2. amg6003

I think that the Apple watch is an amazing piece of technology. As a member of an only Apple family, I would like to say that the reason Apple is so popular, is because it encompasses both technology and design. From Apple TVs to laptops, iPads and phones, we swear by all of Apple’s products and believe that the Apple Watch is just amazing. To be honest, when I read this post, I had never even heard of the Gear Watch before. Technology is definitely something that will be different from person to person, but there is a reason that Apple’s products get the most attention. Yes, the Apple Watch has flaws, but what piece of technology doesn’t? I am sure Apple will come out with an update for the product within two weeks after the launch, but I am very excited to see the ratings after it’s release.