We all know the bad effects of alcohol, everyone has been teaching us how bad alcohol is and that we shouldn’t drink, but why don’t they tell us that alcohol is actually good for you heart? I don’t mean that if you have a broken heart you should go out and drink everything in your way. I mean that alcohol is beneficial to prevent heart diseases and many other diseases.
Let’s start by saying that you need to drink moderately, persons who drink moderately have better health that those who are heavy drinkers or abstainers. Here’s a video that explain why alcohol is good for preventing heart diseases. Alcohol also is good for other diseases which I’m not going to mention because I want to focus on heart disease, but if you want to know them here you go, alcohol consumptions and its benefits in diseases. I’ve mentioned that moderate drinking can reduce cardiovascular diseases, buy why drinking? I know that most people think that having a good diet, exercising, and loosing weight is helpful for cardiovascular diseases, but so does alcohol, and actually alcohol is found to be more effective than any other lifestyle change.
Wait, how would I know if I’m drinking too much or if its moderate? Well there has been studies that say that moderate drinking for women would be 7 drinking standard drinks a week and for men 14 standard drinks a week, let me specified, ONE drink each day for women and for men well TWO. It all depends on you body size. And let me be like all those Penn State surveys that you had to answer before school:
- 12-ounces can or bottle of regular beer
- 5-ounces glass of dinner wine
- ONE shot, or a 1.5-ounces
Do you want to know the 5 ways alcohol is actually beneficial to you?
- It can lower your risk of cardiovascular disease, like I’ve mentioned before, only if you drink moderately.
- It can lengthen your life, drinking occasionally and during meals can add a some years to your life.
- Helps you prevent a cold, this is actually possible, from personal experience (where I’m from legal drinking age is 18) I was sick and I drank a glass of wine and I felt better the other day, weird huh?
- It can decreased changes of developing dementia, “Small amount of alcohol might, in effect, make brain cells more fit. Alcohol in moderate amounts stresses cells and thus toughens them up to cope with majors stresses down the road that could cause dementia.” Edward J. Neafsey, Ph.D., co-author of the study, as reported by Science Daily.
- Lowers the chance of diabetes, its say that people who drink one to two glasses of alcohol a day are less likely to have type 1 diabetes.
***Blondell, R. et al. Ethanol in formularies of U.S. teaching hospitals. Journal of the American Medical Association 2002, 289, 552.