Trick the Senses

images

Branching off of what was once posted about gaining that freshman fifteen, I have found some interesting information that may help battle those unwanted pounds. As college students we are always on the run to each class, often leaving us with less than sufficient time to eat the proper foods at the proper pace. I can only speak for myself, but I think we all can agree that never in our lives have we eaten so fast or such horrible junk, but there may be a simple solution; one of many. Researchers claim that foods with stronger aromas cause people to take smaller bites. Smaller bites equal smaller stomachs.

Researchers have come up with a way to separate the smell and other elements of food from one another to test the effects that aromas have on the brain. This test was used to determine how large of bites the subjects would take.

A Live Science article explains that “Participants were fed vanilla custard through a tube while “vanilla-custard” smells were delivered directly into the backs of their noses. They controlled the amount of custard fed into their mouth by pressing a button to stop the flow. The researchers weighed the custard cup before and after each “bite” to measure its size. Participants ate about the amount of a normal-size desert”

The results prove the hypothesis made. They took smaller bites. It is a way to trick your brain to making you think you have consumed more than you actually have. No diets or personal trainers needed anymore.

http://www.livescience.com/19194-food-aroma-bite-size.html

One thought on “Trick the Senses