Does a midlife crisis exist?

A midlife crisis is an idea that is portrayed by our society as happening all the time to people who are of middle age. I understand that at this point in one’s life the thought of actually getting older can be realized and there are many other stressors, but is there scientific evidence that proves the midlife crisis exists? And aren’t there stressors at all other times in our life, not just during middle age? I decided to explore this more and found some interesting results.

According to Psychology Today, the idea of a midlife crisis was introduced by Elliot Jaques in 1965 and then was used by Freudians. It continued to be considered as an accurate description of the struggles one undergoes in middle age. But is there any scientific proof of this? The American Psychological Foundation reported that David M. Almeida has found adults are “juggling too many activities at one time”. People in middle age definitely have a lot of things to worry about that are not necessarily a factor during other times in life. For example, one’s career path, marriage, children, and the thought of aging all can become stressful factors. Such as David M. Almeida stated, all of these together can create negative emotions. I could see how that can cause problems in middle age, but we have many things to stress about in all other times of our life, too. With that being said, I wanted to find more evidence of the possible phenomenon of the midlife crisis.

Photo from http://adrenamag.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/midlife-crisis-woman.jpg

According to Dr. Terence Cheng and The Guardian, people are most unhappy between the ages of 40 and 42. So, there is definitely evidence of people undergoing negative feelings at this time, which could lead to a midlife crisis. If someone is unhappy about their life or feels unsettled, this is when the crisis occurs. But other people are more vulnerable than others, according to the American Psychological Association. Things such as gender, personality, and more can effect how one goes through midlife. In one study, Susan Krauss Whitbourne found that events that happened during pervious years in regard to jobs and relationships affected how someone reacted to midlife. This means that it is more likely to be brought on it certain cases.

I think that with this evidence it is clear something occurs during midlife. The thought of one getting older is very hard for some people, and the difference is that when you’re younger you have the power to change these things. When you’re older, you mainly look back and don’t have a lot to change. I believe that is the root of the midlife crisis, causing problems for our generation. However, I am not convinced that there is enough proof for a midlife crisis to be accurate scientifically. I think that our society having this term makes it acceptable for people to be spontaneous and make choices that are uncharacteristic when they’re in middle age. Therefore, having the excuse of a crisis or at least the idea of it in their head makes someone act differently. What do you think?

“Midlife Crisis: Thousands around the World Agree That It’s the Real Thing.” The Guardian. Guardian News and Media, 20 Mar. 2014. Web. 14 Sept. 2014. <http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/mar/20/midlife-crisis-thousands-around-the-world-agree-that-its-the-real-thing>.

Diller, Vivian. “Midlife Crisis: A Myth or a Reality in Search of a New Name?” Psychology Today. Psychology Today, 7 Apr. 2011. Web. 14 Sept. 2014. <http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/face-it/201104/midlife-crisis-myth-or-reality-in-search-new-name>.

Clay, Rebecca A. “Researchers Replace Midlife Myths with Facts.” American Psychological Association. American Psychological Association, Apr. 2003. Web. 14 Sept. 2014. <http://www.apa.org/monitor/apr03/researchers.aspx>.

2 thoughts on “Does a midlife crisis exist?

1. Genevieve Irene Stafford

It seems to me that this topic is a difficult one to test for. Yes, a correlation could be found between age and happiness, but finding the cause of that correlation is incredibly difficult. Age is the “x” where happiness/stress is the “y.” Of course, age can not be manipulated easily. Perhaps the only way to prove the idea of the “mid-life crisis” would be to follow a large, randomized group for several years while documenting their happiness and stress levels. Even then, it is nearly impossible to control the possible “z” variables that arise. Much like the smoking issue, a direct cause of the mid-life crisis could take decades of research to pin-point.

2. Colin Patrick Mcknight

This topic does seem to hold some truth to it. Interestingly enough my grandmother seems to be going through some sort of midlife crisis even though she is well above her 40’s. She talks about how she would love to have a motorcycle and go sky diving and many other activities you would expect someone in their 20’s to have interest in.