Move it or Lose it

Sometimes if I need to get my thoughts going, going out for a run or completing a quick workout is the best way to get thinking. This seems to be a rather common solution, Science Mag recently reported the possible existence of a positive correlation, or link, between exercise and brain functioning. In exercising and the building up of muscle tissue, a protein named FNDC5 is released into the bloodstream.   Bruce Spiegelman came across the presence of FNDC5 and another related protein, PGC-1α, and concluded the possibility that these two substances are involved in the development of neurons.

While in the midst of his research, Spiegelmancompleted an experiment where he and his coworkers cultivated mice brain cells and had the mice complete a thirty day exercise program. With the conclusion of this study, Spiegelman discovered that mice who were not producers of the PGC- α substance had holes in parts of their brains. This discovery leads one to conclude that lack or deficiency of exercise could in turn affect one’s neural activity or academic performance.

In my personal opinion, I completely agree with the idea that exercise helps improve focus and mental activity. Having ADHD, I rely on exercise to wear me out a bit, or to release some energy so I am in turn able to sit down and focus on the task at hand. There have been many studies, such as the one posted on Global Post  by Fitzalan Gorman, that demonstrate how student athletes have a better academic performance, and with being on the track team in high school I was able to witness and experience the benefit of exercising daily firsthand.

Servick, Kelly. “How Exercise Beefs Up the Brain.” AAAS. American Association for the Advancement of Science, 10 Oct. 2013. Web. 16 Sept. 2014.

2 thoughts on “Move it or Lose it

1. jvh5620

When i want to clear my mind exercise is the first thing I do. I think exercise helps me do better in school. It makes me focus on the task at hand, and release a lot of unneeded energy. I try to do exercise daily. So many studies have been done that show and prove exercise improves the mind.

2. Megan D Erickson

I agree with this. Being on my high school track and cross country team as well, our coach made a point to explain to me and my teammates the benefits of exercise. I specifically remember her mentioning that exercise released endorphins in the brain, which is a chemical that heightens ones mood. Endorphins that get released while exercising are capable of improving your ability to concentrate and focus on one thing while blocking out other distractions and enhancing your memory. All these traits working together result in ones ability to become smarter.