A gel manicure can ruin your nails

Screen Shot 2014-09-17 at 2.01.48 PM

I never used gel on my nails until prom season. Last April was the first time i used gel on my nails and i loved it. I started to peel off the gel and slowly and slowly my nails started to become damaged. This website claims ” It will take at least a year for her nails to recover, and they may never be as strong as they once were. ”  I have not had gel on my nails for months and my nails are still not healthy looking and they have a damaged look to them.

5 thoughts on “A gel manicure can ruin your nails

1. Andrea Marie Linn

I would not recommend to use gel or acrylic nails all the time. They damage and wear down your nails, leaving them thin and flimsy. However, they do create clear nail polish that is suppose to help your nails become stronger after you take fake nails off. I got gel nails one time for my school’s homecoming, took them off, and used the clear nail polish. My nails were back to normal and strong in less than a month. You have to take of yourself and your body. I would only recommend you getting your nails done with fakes about once or twice a year. Plus, they’re expensive to get!

2. Nicole Rene Gelb

I always heard great things about gel manicures. Before coming to fall semester at Penn state I ended up getting a gel manicure for the first time. I was disappointed to say the least when it started coming off that week and by the end of the second week they were all off and my nails had never looked worse. Here the Huffington post shows the health risks of gel manicures and why they aren’t good for your nails, http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/14/gel-manicures-health-risk_n_4897654.html

3. Caitlin Marie Gailey

I used to have a teacher in middle school who would always use gel on her nails. I don’t think there was a day she went without having her nails hot pink until one day she came in saying that she was in-between appointments and had to go a day without having them done, and ever since then I’ve been afraid to have gel done to mine. Her nail beds looked awful and some didn’t even have them at all. It appears like her nails had been worn down from all the gel polish and convinced me that getting my nails done more frequently was better than destroying them from gel. I also read an article recently on how the UV rays could possibly cause skin cancer. Right not it’s only a speculation but it couldn’t hurt to take caution.
    Here’s the article I read: http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2014/05/01/308365116/love-that-gel-nail-polish-but-know-it-doesnt-come-risk-free

4. Chloe Atherton Cullen

I have never gotten gel nails, but I’ve only heard good things from my friends and cousins. After reading your article, I thought I would look this up myself and see the pros and cons. I found an article that promotes gel use, but does warn against potential health problems, such as being exposed to UV light, the harsh removal treatment, or the potential risk of destroyed nail beds (http://multiculturalbeauty.about.com/od/Nails/a/Tips-For-A-Safe-Gel-Manicure.htm). I think this is a super interesting article and point of view.