Evolution v. Creationism

A scientific theory is a concept that has been tested and experimented with and has been accepted as an explanation of something in our natural world. Evolution is a scientific theory that is also a very interesting topic of controversy. It is a unifying force in biology today. It stresses the idea that we have developed from animals over millions of years and therefore are connected to them in some way. Scientists have found transitional fossils and ring species backing up this theory. Fish fossils from different periods in the past show changes in their body structure to help them survive. Evolution is a solid theory with evidence to support it.

Creationism is the idea that the world as we know it was a divine creation. There is no scientific evidence to support this theory but it is still accepted by a large amount of people. It is a concept based on religion and the existence of God. Creationists may also be called anti-evolutionists. They believe that we were put on this Earth by God and have been reproducing ourselves since then without any evolution involved. Seeing that evidence has been found that living things adapt over time in order to survive, it is hard to believe such a religious theory.

I like to take the side of a theistic evolutionist. A person who believes in this theory understands and accepts both concepts on evolution and creationism. A theistic evolutionist would say that we are beings who were divinely created but we have developed through natural processes over time. This theory is also called evolutionary creationism. Why should we have to choose sides? Honestly, both of these theories discussing our origin don’t make complete sense on their own. Together they form a scientific and religious theory that makes sense and can be backed up by evidence.

darwin

One thought on “Evolution v. Creationism

1. Connor Baun

I think it’s an interesting choice, and I had never heard of the term “theistic evolutionist” until your post. I had heard of Christians who believe in evolution, but I had never seen this term before. I think that there is no reason that a creationist cannot hold their religious beliefs and also believe in evolution, and I agree with your point mainly because I believe that you may believe that God put life on earth, but also recognize that that life evolved over time.