How to Avoid the Freshmen Fifteen

I can guarantee that when most of us left home to come to Penn State one of our family members awkwardly state “don’t gain the freshmen fifteen”. Although it has been proven that many people gain weight during their first year at college, there are many ways to avoid it. I also believe a big factor of people gaining weight is that they no longer participate in high school sports so the lack of exercise from that can also contribute to it. There are four main reasons, established by The Huffington Post, that are the reasons for the freshmen fifteen. Lack of exercise, over-eating, stress and the large consumptions of alcohol all are huge factors in this problem.

Despite all the factors that can contribute to gaining this weight there are many simple life changes that can prevent this gain and actually make the person healthier. These options aren’t a major dramatic change but can definitely help people. It helps to build a routine; that way it builds the sense of forming a habit. Next, by exercising and eating right a person’s immune system would be stronger and that would reduce one’s risk of getting sick. Finally, working out releases endorphins that can prevent people from becoming extremely stressed or depressed.

With all these great things that exercise offers there are some minor risks. Overdoing the standard exercise can make a person more prone for injury. Everyone will be fine as long as they take everything in moderation and not expect to run a marathon the first day. So in closing, yes the freshmen fifteen is a possibility but by taking care of your body in simple ways it is very easy to avoid.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kayla-hedman/fit-over-fat-collegeexercise_b_4603895.htmlUnknown

2 thoughts on “How to Avoid the Freshmen Fifteen

1. Katelyn May Schreckengast

I agree with Alexandra! I’ve been worrying about this for a while now too. I feel like it’s almost expected of the freshmen to gain some weight. However, this had some great advice in it and I’m hoping to find the right rhythm to keep me healthy for the rest of my time here!

2. Alexandra Elisabeth Monahan

The Freshman 15 is something I have been worrying about since I got to Penn State! I am constantly eating unhealthy foods, and a lot of the time I am consuming this junk late at night. It is soothing to know that once I establish a good diet and get a decent amount of exercise I can most likely prevent this unwanted weight loss. I joined the gym a few weeks ago so hopefully I am on the right track!!