Is Washing Your Hair Every Day Truly Bad for You?

There are several rumors that washing your hair every day is bad for you. In the past, I have tried to wash my hair every other day because I learned that there are healthy oils produced in your scalp that help your hair remain healthy and grow. I was often scared that my hair would become too dry if I was over doing the usage of shampoo and conditioner. When I became heavily involved in soccer and working out, it was basically impossible not to wash my hair every night because I would sweat from the psychical activity. I decided to create a post on this because I know a lot of girls discuss this topic a lot and have many different answers to this controversial question.

In all of the articles I read for this post, they all state that it truly depends on the type of hair you have along with factor such as how much psychical activity you engage in and what you put in your hair. Also, it depends if your using cosmetics in your in your hair such as gels or waxes that can clog the pores in your scalp. For example, if you have curly and thick hair, many articles state that it is not necessary to wash your hair everyday, and that you should wash it every other day/ every two days. Beauty expert Julyne Derrick posted an article called “How Much Should You Shampoo Your Hair” on About Style, which is attached here, and breaks it down for the hair types and how often you should wash your hair. She discusses every where from thick hair, to dry hair, to oily hair.

Screen Shot 2014-09-18 at 9.29.00 PM

Some dermatologists agree that due to hair being fiber, the more you wash a fiber the worse the appearance of it becomes. They say there is no need to wash it every day unless it is extremely necessary. It would be necessary like I said above if you sweat. “Sweat can also contain DHT, or Dihydrotestosterone. DHT is a sex hormone… which restricts blood flow to the hair follicles, in effect restricting nutrient supply to the hair, starving it to death,” (Is It Bad To Wash Your Hair Everyday, 1). Also, like previously mentioned, if you use waxes, gels, and other hair cosmetic products you should wash your hair every day. Falling asleep with these products in your hair allows the harmful chemicals in them to seep through the pores in your scalp. If they get into your body, your basically consuming harmful chemicals.

In conclusion, it isn’t necessarily awful to wash your hair every day. If you have valid reasons such as the ones briefly discussed above you should. If you can avoid washing your hair because you don’t sweat, use products, or have dirty hair that day, don’t do it.

1. Derrick, Julyne. “Is It Bad to Shampoo Daily?” About. N.p., n.d. Web. 18 Sept. 2014. http://beauty.about.com/od/hairbasics/f/hairwashing.htm
  2. “Is It Bad To Wash Your Hair Everyday? – NiceHair | How To Stop Hair Loss.” NiceHair. N.p., n.d. Web. 18 Sept. 2014. http://www.nicehair.org/hair-care-advice/is-it-bad-to-wash-your-hair-everyday
  3. How Often Should You Wash Your Hair?” WebMD. WebMD, n.d. Web. 18 Sept. 2014 <http://www.webmd.com/beauty/shampoo/how-often-wash-hair>

5 thoughts on “Is Washing Your Hair Every Day Truly Bad for You?

1. Rebecca Sorensen

This was really helpful, especially because I’m always hearing different rumors about how often you should wash your hair. Washing it every day definitely dries my hair out and makes it look worse. Thank you for including the article in it too, it was so helpful and a great post!

2. Somil Patel

As a guy that has washed my hair everyday for years, this post will change my hair-washing habits. It is making me wonder how much damage I have caused to my own hair with my daily wash.

However, in my own anecdotal experiences, missing a day of washing my hair causes it to become excessively greasy and/or cause dandruff. Is there a scientific reason behind this, or is my hair unique?

Are all-natural gel and pomade products better for one’s hair than others? Can I leave a natural pomade in my hair overnight?

Thanks for this article, it does a great job of explaining how often one should wash their hair.

3. Katerina Economikos

This is a great topic because many girls are unaware of the damage that over washing your hair can do. I have found that washing my hair every day dries it out whereas when I wait a few days, it looks and feels healthier. The natural oils that your hair develops actually strengthens your hair. The more you shampoo your hair, the more you strip it from the oils it needs to keep the scalp healthy and moisturized. Also, the minerals in shower water can take away the richness and sheen of your hair, making it appear more dull. More girls should definitely be aware of these things to help protect their hair.

4. cmh5996

I found this article very helpful! I am victim to very thin, straight hair that can look greasy very easily. I wash my hair everyday and even have tried to look into dry shampoo products to limit the amount of times I have to wash it. It is very comforting to know I am not damaging my hair anymore than usual! Thanks for sharing