The Color I’m Wearing Will Impact You Too

I wanted to figure out if the clothing we wear really does say something about us. Not only if it said something about us, but if it affected the people around us. Will the color I wear today make an impression on you?

Causation: The color I’m wearing effects emotions

Reverse Causation: Emotions effect the color I’m wearing

Third variable: The season in which we wear the color. What I mean by that is red is considered a winter color in the fashion world, and orange would be seen as a summer color. Maybe wearing those colors at the wrong time would not have the same effect on someone.

72ab28a5f4f409fe07f27a2d6bc74e91

Women’s Health Magazine made quite a point of this. It said : “The serene shade [blue] soothes the person wearing it and makes the people around them feel at ease, say researchers at the University of British Columbia” (Dold). So now you know that you are probably more relaxed when you are wearing blue, and so are the people around you. When I want to create an ease filled environment I’ll remember to fill it with blue. It creates a vibe that makes you relax.

The article also said, “Psychologists at the University of Rochester found that men are more attracted to women wearing the ruby hue” (Dold). People love red. It is the color that gets the most attraction from the eyes and the brain. It is very easy to notice something in red because of the attraction levels it causes us as a people. Mistakes are corrected with red, red cars always get pulled over more often, there is always a woman in a red dress ect. Taylor Swift even wrote a song about feeling Red, if that counts for anything that relates to emotion. Because she is the mostly renown as an artist for her emotions.

It also continued on to the color of creativity, “Whenever you want to feel inspired, pull on something purple” (Dold). If you need to write a blog and need to sit down and get it done, you should probably put on purple. It will get the creative juices flowing and you will be inspired soon enough. This is probably because purple is not a common color. It is a color that you must be inspired to wear. Something makes you want to put on purple because it is the farthest thing from basic.

Furthermore it said that, “The preferred shade of fashionistas, cops, and CEOs, black is the universal color of authority” (Dold). This should go unsaid. Black is the color of power, but it also seems to connote negativity. I suppose this is why the magazine made a connection between an authority and black.

It continued on with saying, “[Orange is] enthusiastic and inviting, you should wear it when you want to appear social, friendly, or approachable” (Dold). So if I put on orange will you feel more compelled to talk to me and be my friend? According to the article you will. Orange is a social color because it also draws attention, but not in an intimidating way.

The last one was that, “This hue [green] puts you and others in a good mood, according to research from the Vrije Universiteit in Amsterdam” (Dold). I guess this is because green puts people in a good mood anyway. It reminds you of nature and life and money. Good things are usually green. Except for the fact jealousy is greatly connected with green as well.

Works Cited

Dold, Kristen. “What Your Clothing Color Says About You.” Womenshealthmag.com. N.p., n.d. Web. 19 Sept. 2014.

7 thoughts on “The Color I’m Wearing Will Impact You Too

1. Jesenia A Munoz

I found your post very interesting and found a nice quote by the famous Pablo Picasso to go along with it. Picasso said, “Colors, like features, follow the changes of the emotions.”
    I also found this chunk of information on that website quite interesting: “artists and interior designers understand how color can dramatically affect moods, feelings, and emotions. It is a powerful communication tool and can be used to signal action, influence mood, and cause physiological reactions. Certain colors have been associated with increased blood pressure, increased metabolism, and eyestrain.”
    Of course we know that wearing all black at a funeral adds to the depressing mood and a bride in all white creates good vibes at a wedding but who knew there was such an extensive link between color and human body and mind.

2. Amanda Marie Binkley

I really like your post and it made me realize how true this is! When someone is wearing dark color, such as black, people can become intimidated, but they will also take them more seriously. Winter is always connected with darker colors and I think that fits really well because it is cold and sometimes darker out. The connection between seasons, moods, and colors is a really interesting study and I found this article that talks about how seasons can affect the way we feel.

http://www.mindpub.com/art027.htm

3. Nicole Kristen Abunassar

Your post is creative and well-written. I love how you defined the causation and the third variable; it really caught my eye and clarified the purpose of the post. Your use of sources made your post credible and trustworthy. Now, the concept of affecting one’s mood with a color seems plausible to me and I agree with your post completely. I found a video further talking about the topic regarding the affect of one’s room color to their mood.

4. Max Cohen

I totally agree with this concept. The color you wear can easily impact your mood along with the attitude of those around you. Bright colors on a shirt would usually put me in a better mood than a black or brown shirt would. The colors we wear shows a little about each of us.

5. Jason Brockman

I think this post is awesome. I never used to believe that colors made people feel certain ways, but I’ve started to realize that dressing in brighter color shirts gives me and the people around me not necessarily a better attitude but definitely a more fun one.

6. Jacklyn Nicole Hucke

Personally, I love to dress. It may not seem like it being that I show up to class in my gym clothes and sneakers but when I do get ready, I feel good! I change my style depending on how I’m feeling on a day to day basis. Somedays I’ll be as preppy as possible and others I’ll be walking around in fringe trying to be hipster. I think that the way we dress compares to the colors we wear. It clearly says something about who we are as people.

In an interview (http://www.npr.org/2013/06/24/195225989/the-will-to-adorn-what-we-wear-and-what-it-says-about-us) between Neal Conan, Robert Givhan, and Diana Baird N’Diaye, they discuss how wearing what you wear shows who you are. The color of the outfit and the stature of the pieces all create a masterpiece that turns out to be who we are as people.

7. Kaitlin A Kemmerer

I loved this post! My teachers in high school would always jokingly say “don’t sit near someone wearing red, you’ll get distracted.” But it is true because it does get attraction from the eye and brain like you said. We even tested it in my AP Statistics class and found that students who sat behind someone sitting in red performed worse compared to students who sat behind students wearing a neutral tone.